Opening email attachment via winXP in parallel

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ndesai, Feb 25, 2007.

1. ndesai

ndesai Bit poster

Hi,

Running 3170 release, the most productive version so far. Just wondering on how one can open email attachment directly via WINXP parallel application.

May be new feature request but it will very powerful if Parallel can support "open with" under MAC.

Any idea how to do this ?

Thanks
    Nimish

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Do you mean, the ability to open attachments without the vm running?

Or do you mean, the ability to have mac menu's show an item from the xp vm, to use while the vm is running?

3. Paul Waggett

Paul Waggett Junior Member

I read it as being able to associate a file type with an application.

For example double clicking a .doc file in an email would open Microsoft Word directly in the VM.

I've got part way there by being able to have the various M$ Office applications permanantly in the Dock so I can launch directly into, say, Excel for windows without first starting Parallels, but I haven't found a way of associating the icon in the doc to the filetype.

Is it possible?

4. ndesai

ndesai Bit poster

Correct, I want to open all office related files form VM form anywhere as long as VM is running. This will fill the void of accessing and managing files without manually storing it or opening it via window explorer or other intrinsic methods within VM.

I have put short cut on my doc but I can not associate any file with it.

Thanks
    ndesai

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I do my emails i the location where I want to open the attachments
    i use different mail boxes for different jobs

and open them in either OS

Gmail works as pop mail or web mail

AOL works as imap or webmail or in the AOL app

msn / hotmail as web mail of for a fee pop mail

Hugh W

6. ndesai

ndesai Bit poster

Humm.. that is correct, how about Apple Mail and Entourage - yeah tied with corp email.. and do not want to run - outlook in VM :)

Thanks
    ndesai

7. xeroed

xeroed Junior Member

not really from what I've heard and tried.

here is as far as I've gotten:

there is a folder where all of the programs you run in Parallels show up as links, which is how you can make little dock icons and whatnot. to find it hold down the mouse button on the icon in your dock and say show in finder. Mine is named "Windows Applications" (but it might be different on other guest OSs

you can tell programs to open using these programs by right clicking (crtl click if you don't have a mouse) on a file and choosing "Open With -> Other..." choose all applications from the drop down list (the default is Recomended Applications) and in the search bar typing the name of the folder (I type Windows Applications). A folder should appear and you click it and all the programs you've opened in your VM should be in there. You can choose the application and it will open up parallels and the program you've chosen. i you want to associate it with that program you can check the checkbox in the bottom left corner.

Unfortunately I've had some problems with this approach, the first and foremost being that with all the programs I tried I was only able to open a blank document not the document I was trying to open so it's not much better then just clicking the link on the dock. Secondly I think this only will work with later RCs of Parallels.... and thirdly I don't think you can go the other way (open files from windows in a mac program)...

maybe someone could expand on this, but so far that's all I can get to work when I was fiddling around with it for a few minutes... I think the problem might be that you need to transfer the file or make sure that it's in a shared folder.. maybe a future version of Parallels could fix this problem or maybe I'm missing something