Scratchy USB Audio - VOIPVoice Traveller

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by matt.hocker, Feb 27, 2007.

1. matt.hocker

matt.hocker Junior Member

I have a VOIPvoice traveller USB handset which I have used very succesfully with my Windows PC and with the Mac OS side of my Mac. However, under Parallels RC3 it is identified (which was not possible a month or so ago) and can be seen by the Windows XP OS, but when I try to use it the sound is extremely scratchy and basically inaudible. I don't even know what the microphone sounds like because I haven't risked calling other people with it.

I am trying to use it with Cisco IP Communicator, which works fine with the internal speaker and microphone.

Is there a serious USB audio problem that will be fixed by the Parallels team, is there something I should change in the settings (or in Windows) or should I just replace this device?

Is anyone else using a USB handset with Parallels and it works?

2. kennyL

kennyL Bit poster

Same Experience Here

My colleague and I have exactly the same experience. We are using NORTEL, rather than Cisco, but the experience is the same.

Under RC3, the device is recognized, and the IPphone connects back to our corporate PBX over the encrypted tunnel. But the audio is awful (scratchy, as you say).

Kenny

3. Mr. A

Mr. A Bit poster

Same response but with Logitech USB headset

I have the same experience, I can use it within boot camp, within mac just fine but when I use parallels and use it either in stand alone mode within parallels or within boot camp image within parallels, it has the same effect.

So far, I boot into boot camp and use it there.

4. matt.hocker

This needs to be addressed

The Parallels team has really come a long way with this product and it is JUST about perfect (for my use at least). If we could get this one issue solved I would be very grateful!

Any Parallels devs want to comment on it? Is it being worked on?

5. dan

dan Member

I've had similar difficulties with my Logitech "Premium" USB headset. However, I've discovered a way to get it work for me.

1. Connect the headset,
    2. Start the VM,
    3. Do NOT capture the headset in the VM (I would think auto USB capture would have to be turned off),
    4. On the Mac side, go to the Sound preference pane and check the "Mute" button; now uncheck the "Mute" button,
    5. Go back to the VM and use the headset

Step 4 may seem a little odd, but if I don't do this, I get no response from the headphones or the mic on the Windows side. Once I mute and unmute, everything works great.

On my MBP 1.83 (running Parallels build 3186 and Windows XP) the above steps allow me to use the Logitech headset with excellent quality (both mic and headphones). If, on the other hand, I try to capture the headset in the VM, the headset is recognized, but the sound quality is horrible with both mic and headphones.

6. matt.hocker

Tried doing what you said, both muting and unmuting then grabbing the USB device as well as muting, grabbing the usb audio, and unmuting. Neither had any effect.

This really is a serious problem. I've upgraded the drivers, tried every version of parallels that has come out, and had no luck.

Can anyone from parallels comment?

7. modular747

modular747 Member

1. Plug in USB audio device/mic before starting VM and allow OS X to capture it. Be sure
    OS X sound input recognizes it.
    2. Start Win XP VM.
    3. Set Windows voice input to "default audio device" - not USB device.
    4. This will import the sound from OS X and should be OK.

8. TempleATO

TempleATO Bit poster

Using USB Mic with Windows XP Home

Modular747,
    Can you please give some more details? I am running Windows XP Home.

From the Control Panel, I can select the microphone in the drop down boxes as the default "sound recording" or output option, but I don't see a "default audio device" option. Am I missing something.

When you say 'Set Windows voice input to "default audio device"' are you saying change the default setting in:
    Control Panel->Sound and Audio Devices->Voice
    Control Panel->Sound and Audio Devices->Audio

If tried this and the scratch/break up still exists. Please advice.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. orkus

orkus Bit poster

scratchy usb audio (5.1 surround)

I have a similar problem with a usb audio 5.1 device.

Basically I want to use it within parallels because it is not supported by Mac os natively, but when I use it the audio quality is terrible and "scratchy" is a good definition of that.

I thought it was a usb bandwidth problem, but maybe that's not the case if you're experiencing the same problems with different audio signals.

Any hope of getting the issue solved?

Regards,
    Beppe

PS: No need to say that the device works properly under winxp/bootcamp