Unable to install Ubuntu 6.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by noshooz, Feb 26, 2007.

1. noshooz

noshooz Bit poster

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.1 as a VM on release 1705. I get as far as "Detecting hardware, please wait" -- Loading module for 'aec62xx' for IDE chipset support'... and the install hangs.

Any suggestions? I can use the CD as a live CD and still run Ubuntu, but live CDs just aren't the same.

2. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

Have you considered setting up a OSX/UBUNTU dual-boot? - Thats what i have done (as of today!) and am LOVING IT.
    Also, are you aware of the lack of parallels tools for linux? It's a pretty miserable experiance without them.

3. noshooz

noshooz Bit poster

I was afraid I might need Tools. Did you use Boot Camp to install Ubuntu?

4. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

I followed this guide : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

It worked first time. Now, when i boot up i have a screen very similiar to BC - only i choose between OSX/UBUNTU.
    Honestly, it's well worth the effort, i'm much happier with this set-up.

Have fun!,
    chrisj303

5. domino

domino Bit poster

It's an issue with the smp kernel. On other Linux disrto, CentOS for example, you have the option to boot either the normal kernel or the smp. It will always hang if SMP is choosen to boot from. This happens with the other GPL virtualization product as well.

if you have a fast enough internet bandwaidth, you can try ubuntu net install, which will have an updated kernel that will work.

6. lithe951

lithe951 Member

I hope my Ubuntu 6.1 install works once I upgrade. It works well in 1970, had very little trouble installing and setting it up other than getting the splash screen working.

chrisj303 - just curious. Why is it a miserable experience? I'm primarily a business user, do some html/javascript work but that's the only development. I've got browser, word processing, spreadsheets, email, everything I need, and have no problems at all. I frankly don't need the tools. I'm a MUCH heavier user of the Windows VM and don't ever really use them there either. What is the need you miss?

Mark

7. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

Try it on the latest released version of Parallels, and if you've given more than 512MB of memory to the Ubuntu VM, reduce that to 512MB. I'm running Ubuntu just fine in Parallels. In fact, I spend most of my time in my full-screen Ubuntu VM and use the host OS only sparingly.

8. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

Try it with the latest version of Parallels, and reduce the VM's memory to 512MB if it's more (Ubuntu has been known to fail to boot under Parallels sometimes when you give it more than that amount of memory).

FWIW, I use Ubuntu under Parallels as my primary OS, and it works pretty well. I rarely use the host OS (i.e. Mac OS X) itself.

9. noshooz

noshooz Bit poster

As suggested (which I also found in another thread), I set the RAM for the VM to 512MB and it installed without a hitch. Ubuntu is a great distro! Finding and installing packages is very easy.

10. jdmuys

jdmuys Bit poster

I am still looking for a Lunix distro able to install and run Oracle. Since I am a newbie, my few attempts failed miserably one way or another. Is there some walkthrough somewhere?