X11 Configuration on Solaris 10

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by wagonmaster, Apr 8, 2006.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Bit poster

Has anybody been successful in configuring X11 on Solaris 10. I'm using the Mac OS X beta 2
    release. The best I get is kdmconfig hanging.

Which video card, monitor and resolutions / frequencies should we configure. I choose
    the generic VESA driver, but then it wants a screen size and a screen type with resolution,
    colors and freqeuency capabilities.

thanks

2. Schmidt

Schmidt Bit poster

I configured Xorg server on Solaris 10.

3. Schmidt

Schmidt Bit poster

In kdmconfig you must chose Xorg server and run /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig. Configure Xorg server
    according you configuration.

4. trancepriest

trancepriest Bit poster

Addendum to the list above is to make sure you select the vesa driver from the adapter database in xorgconfig... don't click blindly pass this option. Also select PS/2 for keyboard. I finally got Solaris up and running after going through the same headaches... my biggest mistake was clicking pass the adapter database in xorgconfig.

5. schwartz

schwartz Member

Thanks for teh VESA tip. got my java desktop working. my "|" (pipe) key isn't mapped right though, what keyboard should I select?

Also, do any of you have the network working for Solaris 10?

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

I was doing some xorg configuration once, and instead of selecting the "nice vesa" driver, I mistakenly selected the "vice versa" driver and ended up having the screen turn to negative.

7. goron

goron Junior Member

I used xorgconfig, chose vesa driver and some modest monitor. PS/2 mouse/keyboard. 102 key international (seems to work ok with | and \ ).

Manually changed the resolutions to only have 800x600 at all depths (mini was headless and could only do 1024x768 - was using VNC from another mac to connect).

Works ok, except Parallels freezes (spinny beachball) frequently.

However, I now disable graphical login (dtconfig -d) and use my other Mac's X11 server to connect to it... effectively making a headless Solaris on a headless Mini :)

It doesn't freeze anymore, so guessing it's the graphics support in Parallels that's flaky here.

8. rpjenner

rpjenner Bit poster

These were the instructions I posted in an earlier thread, most of the keys seem to work except tilda (~), and the @ and " are the wrong way round.

After you've followed the instrructions, it's worth copying the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so if you re-install Solaris you can just copy the file rather than having to remember all the details from below.

Hope this helps

Richard

----------------------------

I'm running Beta3 of the Parallels Software. I've installed Solaris 10 01/06 and got the graphics / keyboard and mouse working. You can see a screenshot at http://www.flickr.com/photos/62281904@N00/

I used the following commands :

/usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig
    and then the following entries (the --> denotes my comments - don't type these
    [ENTER]
    5 --> PS/2 Mouse
    Y --> emulate 3 button mouse
    [ENTER] --> default for /dev/kdmouse
    7 --> Generic 104-Key PC
    87 --> UK Keyboard
    [ENTER] --> for keyboard variant
    n --> additional XKB options
    [ENTER]
    6 --> Non-interlaced SVGA 1024x768
    2 --> 50-90 vertical sync rate
    apple20 --> identifier for your monitor
    y --> yes, you would like to look at the card database
    0 --> Generic Vesa compatible option
    [ENTER] --> to continue
    5 --> 4096K of memory
    ati1600 --> identifier for you graphics card
    4 --> the modes are ok
    4 --> 16 bits
    then say Y to write to /etc/X11.conf

Then you should only have to logout and login again for the new settings to take effect (although with all the experimentation I've done, I may have had to reboot).

I also had problems with some Solaris Express builds which wouldn't install (but I had the same issues on my Toshiba laptop as well - problem is documented at :
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=31
    the message is titled "X.cpio.bz2 : Odd Problem with various versions"

It took about 40 minutes to install from the ISO image stored on the disk (I didn't use a physical DVD image).

I going to try to create a flash archive from a later Solaris Express build and see if that works as I want to experiment with ZFS and also get Linux containers running under Brandz.

Hope this helps

Richard