VESA Modes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rmaniac, Jan 8, 2007.

1. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

I setup a custom video mode for 1440x900. It works great except it seems to be only listing a mode for 8bit color. I am using the latest beta and am testing this with OpenStep. On boot it only lists 256/8 for the 1440x900 mode and if I go and try to configure it in the OS, it lists the same. Is there any way to make it list modes for higher bit depths?

Thanks!
    Brian

2. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Also OS/2

Also in OS2 using the IBM VESA GRADD Driver I do not seem to be getting the 1440x900 resolution at all much less at a decent depth.

Brian

3. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Scitech and response

I also when I try to use the SDD on OS/2 Warp 4 it locks up on boot. As for this and the other VESA questions.. I can someone from Parallels please let me know if there is any solution? I feel like I am barking in the dark.

-Brian

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

rmaniac, i can hear you. :)

Seems that you can do nothing with OS/2 custom resolutions now, there are some problems when adding them. But OpenStep should be fine.. When you add custm resolution you will have 8, 16 and 32 bpp modes of it for Windows guests and 8,16, 24 bpp for all others.

5. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Thanks for the response Ynot. :)
    I am running the lastest beta build "3120". I have OpenStep set up as an "Other OS". I have a custom video mode setup for 1440x900, but for some reason there is only an 8bit option showing up. There is no 16bit or 24bit. Could there be a bug in the custom resolutions or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
    -Brian

6. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

I am running a VM of OpenStep 4.2 in build 3150 that I previously created under 1970. Under that build, I had full resolution support at 32-bit color. Looking at the list now, I have NO 32-bit support on any resolution, and mostly 8-bit only (including on 1440x900).

Here's hoping you can track this down. It's big, but I'd be perfectly willing to send in my OpenStep VM if it would help any.

7. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Well..

Thanks for your post. I had given up an assumed it was an openstep problem. Since you claimed it worked in the non beta... I downgraded. Now with 1970 all the modes show up for openstep and all is well! So.. hey guys this does seem to be an issue with the betas that was not present in the release version. Can we get this fixed? I also will offer up a VM and instructions for testing if you like.

Thanks
    RM

8. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Wdyt

So kiddoes what do you think? From one version to the next something stopped working... is this something we can look at?

RM

9. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

Glad you guys got 2.5 out the door, but while Windows may be working, other OS's have been crippled here. I've gone ahead and posted my OpenStep VM. I don't think there are any legality issues, as it's over 10 years old and has no serial numbers or other identifiers.

PLEASE look into this. On booting in verbose mode, it comes up pretty quickly saying it doesn't recognize the VBE mode I have set (VBE mode 356 not supported) - this was 24 or 32 bit color at 1440x900 for my MacBook Pro. If you open Configure.app (on the dock), it will show that there are no modes above 16-bit, and none above 8-bit for my custom resolutions.

Edit: File deleted - thanks Parallels!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  10. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

bump

hello support? any ideas?

11. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

That account is only going to be live for a few more days. Please grab the image posted and examine it. It wuldn't hurt to respond and let me know if you have it, so I can take it down.

12. Ynot

Ynot Pro

rmaniac no any ideas now... i'll take a look bit later.

13. Ynot

Ynot Pro

I checked up that stuff.

We have two problems, as i see:

1. I can't determine algorithm in which OpenStep marks videomode as valid one. I saw, that it checked all of them, but in the list inside OpenStep you can see only partial list. What it checks and why some of modes is absent - i do not know, may be somebody have sources ? :)

2. Some videomodes were removed from list to Other OS. Therefore you can't see 32bpp modes. Sorry, guys.

I'll try to point to include OpenStep OS in the OSes list in Parallels and will make all needed changes to support it. But, it will be only in next major update.

14. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

thanks

Thanks for responding... was some vesa code changed that could have made this difference? Also I am sure the sources for openstep are lost in the sands of time... Anything we can do to help test lest us know. but not that you have a copy of the vm to look at I am sure you have what is needed. Please keep in touch on this.

thanks
    RM

15. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Yes, there are some changes in VESA. So, seems we broke OpenStep. We'll fix it, surely.

16. rmaniac

rmaniac Junior Member

Has this been fixed for parallels 3.0?

Thanks!
    RM

17. Ynot

Ynot Pro

If there were not be any changes to VESA, i remember that i committed that to source code, and... mmm.. now we have OpenStep type of guest OS as far as i know.