Running out of disk space on XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by EricNolan, Feb 26, 2007.

1. EricNolan

EricNolan Junior Member

I have a MBP running RC3 with 30GB VM running XP. I have had this problem with all versions. Using a disk space program called DiskData the actual space being used shows as: 11,559MB allocated 11,665MB efficiency 99% uses 38%.

This is correct if you divide 11,559 / 30,000.

However, Windows Explorer (and even DiskData summary page) show my used at 27,700 out of 30,000MB and only have about 3 GB available.

Where is the missing disk space going and how do I recover/use it?

I am setup to use a plain virtual hard disk (I converted from an expanding using the Image tool last release to see if this would help and it didn't).

-Eric

2. wesley

wesley Pro

Have you run a disk scan inside the VM?

3. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Try installing another disk report program like JDiskReport. Does it give a different answer?

Edit: by the way, Windows reports that my XP VM is using 7.5 GB, and DiskData and JDiskReport report about the same 5.1 GB (i.e. 5,400,000kB)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  4. EricNolan

EricNolan Junior Member

ran disk scan although Windows required restart "to gain exclusive access" to the disk. It seemed to go through all 5 steps wihout error, and I still have the 3GB available instead of the expected ~17GB

5. EricNolan

EricNolan Junior Member

I did run JDiskReport like you suggested, and it returned the same results on actual usage (~12GB) but I didn't see in this program where it would show total capacity.