XP home vs. pro & multiprocessor awareness

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by konakahuna, Apr 20, 2006.

1. konakahuna

konakahuna Bit poster

hi there,
    i know that one of the stated differences between XP home and XP pro is that PRO supports more than one processor. my question is, when running parallels, does it matter? will XP PRO give better performance from my core duo imac than running home? because the machine itself is virtualized, does this even matter? does parallels see a single processor in the virtual hardware or the dual processor in my mac?

thanks for everyone's help...

david r.

2. davidwsica

davidwsica Member

XP Home versus Pro

I'm also deciding between XP Home or Pro. I'd prefer to get Pro but I can get a killer deal on Home. Can somebody answer this question regarding XP home vs pro performance given that XP Pro supports "Scalable processor support"?

Thanks,
    David

3. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

Parallels doesn't support SMP at this time so in the short run Pro won't buy you much. I'm not sure about SMP in Parallels as far as future support.

-Will

4. awoodhouse

awoodhouse Junior Member

Not much point going for XP Pro under parallels other than the fact that IIRC XP Home can't login to a domain - if you need to do that you have to go Pro.

5. davidwsica

davidwsica Member

I guess maybe the multiprocessor awareness might be useful if I decide to install as dual-boot via Boot Camp versus running under Parallels?