Upgrade How Please

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Da_Brain, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

I want to upgrade to the new release with out losing my current XP etc...

I do NOT use or intend to use bootcamp. I like just the paralles VM just fine for my needs!

When I try to upgrade by using the parallels update it tells me I have the latest version which I know I don't.

So I D/L the dmg and that's where IM at.

IM leary of installing it over top of 1970 as IM afraid I will lose my VM's that I have now.

What's the correct process to update 1970 without losing current OS's installed?

Just curious as to why parallels update keeps telling me I have the current version???? Anyone know?

Thanks In advance.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

* Read the documentation.
    * Stop, do not suspend, your virtual machines.
    * Make a copy of the Library/Parallels folder that is in your OS X home directory.
    * Install the new Parallels version over the top of your existing version.
    * Start your virtual machine - if it is Windows you will have to update the Parallels Tools for Windows. This may or may not start automatically. When the new tools have been installed the vm will restart.

It's that simple.

3. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Do not forget to reboot the MAC after having installed the upgrade

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

By the way, I did the upgrade yesterday and everthing went well, no problems, no issues.

However I do not use coherence, but I do run my windows XP session full screen on my secondary monitor.

5. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

OK All went well, but a few more questions pa lease!--)))

I copied the library/paralles folder before I updated parallels. It was 3.85 Gig.

After rebooting I got the new interface. This offered 3 OS's I have installed in VM.

Now what do I do with the folder I copied? I can't see having dupicate 3.85 Gig data now that the install went ok.

Can I delete the folder you had me copy?

IM trying to read the docs but 249 pages will take me awhile--)))

Thanks!

6. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Go ahead, delete that folder, everything went allright...you might as well get rd of that backup

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Before you toss out your only backup, save it off to some DVD's. Because you just never know.

8. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

Thanks for all the answers anmd advice. Done deal and all works like a champ!
    Thanks Everyone!

9. Osmosis

Osmosis Bit poster

One more time - Please!

This forum is kind of different - I don't see how to start a new topic but hopefully this will do - it's the same subject.

My concern is about MS Activation process. In Parallels I'm running Vista and XP Pro and both are currently activated with Microsoft. So here's my question - My version of Parallels is licensed to me and is legal; I have updated and I'm currently running Build 3170 RC-3.

When the final version of Parallels is released should I uninstall the RC version I'm running now or install the final over the top of the RC version I'm running. If I need to uninstall what about my exsisting activations with Microsft Vista and XP, will have have to do the song and dance thing with MS?

Is there a precedure already in place for this? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Rod:confused: