Is anyone running 3186 Final sucessfully?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Horizontal, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

Reading all these posts concerning the final release of 3186 one would think it is still in beta stage.

Who is running it successfully and what Windows OS are you using?

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I am, its been running since 9:--am this morning, no issues, no problem. I'm running Windows XP pro.

3. rmeyer52

rmeyer52 Member

I am also up and running although the "upgrade" could have been a little smoother. I am running Win Vista ultimate

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Running non-stop since it became available. Just like the previous versions - no problems functionally speaking.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

no problems here either.

6. paddler

paddler Bit poster

I am having problems. This one is bad.

Inside Windows XP closing out of windows or applications gives me the spinning beachball for sometimes up to 15 sec. Makes it almost unusable. I am on an iMac. Dedicated 1G of memory to Windows XP (no bootcamp involved). Tried auto managing reserved memory and hard coding it in. Tries setting memory for max performance in OSx and Parallels both no go.

I have noticed this in every Beta and was really hoping they had fixed it in this final release. Well it's still broken and I will be forced back to 1370. (Seems that ever since coherence came on the scene this started happening).

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted, fixed permissions and all the other voodoo people always suggest but no go. Any ideas how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  7. pcalver

pcalver Junior Member

Good to go with Win Xp and a MacBook Pro 17". So far, so good.

8. darreln

darreln Member

Running here since yesterday. MBP 17", running Vista Ultimate.
    Only issue so far is network change from home (Wireless) to Corporate (LAN). Did not get connected properly when coming back to work. Had to click the "shared networking" menu option to get it to connect.

Other than that, the only complaint I would have is that it does take a pretty hefty toll on the system, os x apps launch noticably slower, and widgets take sometimes 15 seconds to fully load. I am running in coherence mode, mostly.

I am hopeful that the performance issues will be addressed in future updates. Not sure if this is a problem only because it's Vista or if there are performance issues with XP as well?
    anyone?

D

9. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I've been running 3186 since noon yesterday. I'm absolutely having NO problems.

I'm running XP pro SP2.

10. CountZero

CountZero Member

No problem running XP and Win2k, on Mac Pro. No upgrade problem, very smooth.

11. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

I assume you guys are using your Bootcamp partition? I'd like to give it a go, but I rely on my Windows partition for web design and I really don't want to screw anything up.

12. Paul Waggett

Paul Waggett Junior Member

Tried to download the latest 'release' but it's obviously only available to Americans.

The link from this site cacked out part way through, what did download came so slowly I thought I was dial-up!

Downloaded from a mirror site in the end.

As usual Parallels support is non existant - i'm a fully paid retail box user and even this 'Final' version seems to be locked so our existing, legit keys won't work and despite plenty of comments on this forum no-one from Parallels is answering any questions.:mad:

13. gaveuphalo5

gaveuphalo5 Bit poster

I am not having any problems with the newest update running WinXP on a MacBook Pro.
    As for the spinning beachball when closing windows... I had this problem with the RC3 version of Parallels. Shutting down the VM, quitting Parallels, and then shutting down OS X fixed the problem for me. When I started everything back up, no more beachball and I haven't had the problem since.

14. jkneen

jkneen Member

Re the beachball issue, turn on "show applications in dock" as this seems to solve it. I had it earlier, turned this on and it went. It was happening when closing Outlook 2007 emails. If this doesn't work, a workaround that stops the time sync and clipboard sync working (so not ideal) is to kill the parallels tools process.

Look up beachball on the forum search, loads of items on this.

15. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

Crashed 3 times and a Kernel Panic

I have had this new build 3186 crash 3 and exit times each on unrelated activities and once a kernel panic crashing the entire osx while running the Kaspersky virus scan on the windows email/file system.

I am running the follows

XP HOME SP2 fully updated with all new windows updates
    Mac Pro, 3GHZ Xeon
    12 GB RAM
    2x500gb HD & 320GB drive
    1.5GB dedicated to Windows XP

I am just running parallels on a 32GB hard disk file and not using bootcamp.

WHY, WHY, WHY on production releases!

16. rawstitches

rawstitches Bit poster

running windows 2000 only, but cannot get past 640x480 screen size with 16 colors. . . :mad:

17. leoofborg

leoofborg Junior Member

I'm running it. Nokia PC Suite barfs when connecting to my Noke 6682. Then USB drops.. but other than that, for WebDev [using Firefox and MSIE] it's fine.

18. rmf

rmf Member

Flawless here.

19. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

Well I gave it my best shot. I never installed any of the betas so was upgrading from an original installation cd.

An hour and a half later I still could not use my mouse in the XP VM (accessing Bootcamp) so I had to quit Parallels all together. Booting into XP via Bootcamp gives me a message at start up something like "Unable to access Parallels ..."

Uninstalled Parallels all together, like I said I rely in XP unfortunately to do web design and I can't afford to play around with it.

20. CountZero

CountZero Member

Really simple advise, stop using BootCamp partition for Parallels unless absolutely necessary.