Keyboard and mouse does not work in Parallels with Boot Camp after upgrading; on MBP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Gary King, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Gary King

Gary King Member

After I upgrade my Parallels to the latest RC2, my keyboard and mouse do not work when I boot into my Boot Camp partition with Parallels. Why does this happen? How can I fix it? I'm running on a MacBook Pro, by the way.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gary King

Gary King Member

Anyone please?

3. Gary King

Gary King Member

Help! :) Thanks...

4. mrogers

mrogers Bit poster

I'm having the same problem with my new MacBook. I have no trouble with this same setup on my iMac, but my keyboard and mouse will not work in Parallels on the MacBook using Boot Camp's partition. In addition, once I click inside the Parallels window and try to use my keyboard or mouse, CPU usage on one core goes to 100%. It would be nice if someone else could chime in here with any tips.

5. mrogers

mrogers Bit poster

As an addendum, I tried downgrading to 3106 Beta 3 and had the same problem. This is rather serious, I really need to be able to use my Boot Camp install through parallels. I'm not sure what's so special about the MacBook that it wouldn't work with the same config I have on my iMac.

6. mrogers

mrogers Bit poster

Update: I got it working. I blew away my XP install and started again, and this time made sure it was set to auto-login before I ever attempted to set it up in Parallels. Apparently if you don't have it auto-login the initial installation of Parallels Tools for Bootcamp cannot complete and it b0rks your XP installation.

7. Gary King

Gary King Member

I always install Windows as auto-login, so this solution doesn't help me, unfortunately. :(

8. thusmac

thusmac Bit poster

Same problem here. I have a works VM image that i can't boot into due to this problem. Using a MacBook with a XP VM. Norma or safemode it makes no difference. Keyboard and mouse are completely unresponsive, cpu load increases, unable to progress and install Parallels Tools.

Hoping the next build sorts this out.

BTW I have no problems with a W2K VM, Parallels rocks!

John

9. sporksalot

sporksalot Bit poster

I've got the same issue. Bootcamp was running fine till I tried to use Parallels now the keyboard and mouse on my MacBook Pro don't work when i'm in windows.
    I've tried using an external mouse, still didn't work.
    I tried booting in to safe mode, still didn't work.

Seems like it's got to be a driver issue... but i have no clue as to how to fix it.

The only thing i can think of trying now is to try and repair XP with the install CD (need to find the cd first) or just reinstall XP from scratch.

10. thusmac

thusmac Bit poster

Great news on the 3186 release!

Unfortunately i still encounter the same problem under 3186. The VM boots XP SP2, keyboard and mouse appear dead and i can't pass the login screen or annoying corporate "Click OK to continue" dialog window that appears. CPU usage starts to rise and rise.

John

11. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

i dont use boot camp so excuse my ignorance, but cant you just restart the mac in bootcamp mode and setup auto login and then reboot into osx and start the vm ? doesn't this work ? (again.. i dont use bootcamp, so i dont know, just throwing out suggestions)

12. davePerry

davePerry Bit poster

Bootcamp fails due to Parallels adoption

I have the same problem on a MacPro.
    I think what happens is that Parallels modifies the hooks to the USB drivers when it first starts your BootCamp partition, this is because it has to interrupt the I/O and redirect via OS X. Unfortunately this cannot be set in the boot.ini file. This happens after the NTLDR has run and just before Ntdetect.com finishes then its the Ntoskrnl.exe which gets things going. I noticed that my Mouse optical sensor turned off at this point.
    I have tried to recover Windows from its install disk but to no avail. So I guess its either this Ntdetect file, or Parallels modifies one of the BootCamp drivers that are installed by the BootCamp CD.
    Dave

13. Jeremy Dollar

Jeremy Dollar Bit poster

Just use your Drivers for Macintosh CD you created for BootCamp!

14. BeProf

BeProf Bit poster

If you're like me and don't use auto-login...

Grab an external mouse (or an extra one if you use a desktop).
    Use your USB menu at the bottom to connect one of the mice or your internal trackpad to Parallels.
    Wait a couple seconds and then click into Parallels.
    Viola! Now you can use one mouse to control Parallels and one to control your Mac (although you still only have one pointer).

It's a little weird, having to switch back and forth, but you only have to do it long enough for Parallels tools to install.

15. S_NINJA

S_NINJA Bit poster

I'm having the same problem with my C2D MBP. (15.4")

I was so excited to see the new parallels come out of beta...

I installed parallels build 3186 and tried to use my bootcamp install, but i got a bsod. I figured out that it was alcohol 120% that was causing this, so i uninstalled that and macdrive.

tried again, but no kb+mouse!!

so i unintalled parallels but afterwards, when i tried to boot to bootcamp again, it corrupted my winxp! I fixed it with a repair install, but when i tried to reinstall macdrive again, it would no longer see my mac parition!

so i had to format and reinstall everything from scratch! :(

Now i'm afraid to install parallels again... :( Hopefully someone can give us an answer...

Maybe i should wait untill bootcamp final + parallels v3...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  16. bongo

bongo Bit poster

Hi!

It's been few days I'm trying to make my bootcamp partition on an external USB drive works under parallel. So far it boots all the way, gets into win xp fine but mouse/keyboard don't work. I thought it was peculiar to my strange config, but it looks like it's a common problem.

17. mackworth

mackworth Junior Member

I also don't have have keyboard and mouse under bootcamp. I also noticed that its loading in a weird resolution. Anyone have a fix for this besides re-install? I am leaving for london tomorrow for 7 weeks and don't have my xp cd (its at school).

18. mackworth

mackworth Junior Member

Has anyone figured this out?

19. susansem

susansem Bit poster

called tech support on same issue

Well, I have the same problem. There seems to be some possible solutions on here but I don't understand them.... like... blew away the xp... don't know what that means and connecting the bottom menu to the internal track.. don't know what that means either. I'm a mac user for 35 years and needed a PC program for my business.... . seems that's not going to work.

I paid for the tech support on this and spent about an hour on the phone and with my macbook pro yesterday afternoon... the tech guy was dumbfounded, asked others around him if they'd heard of this and he was clueless as to what to do.

Hope this can be resolved, I've spent quite a bit of money to access this PC program that has to be downloade within a certain time frame. Looks like I'll be losing some bucks.

::mad:

20. dreyfuss

dreyfuss Bit poster

Zap PRAM

It worked for me. I zapped the PRAM (Hold Control-Option-P-R at boot until second chime) and I have access to my USB mouse and internal keyboard on MBP.
    I'm running build 3188 on BootCamp.

Sébastien