Is anyone running 3186 Final sucessfully?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Horizontal, Feb 28, 2007.

1. sdavissm

sdavissm Junior Member

Well, I tried again following your steps and still when 3186 boots into my XP Pro SP2 VM, it freezes about 30 seconds after it gets fully booted. I can boot into Safe mode. I've removed everything that was autostarting: Zone Alarm, AVG virus protection and TiVo Desktop. I also uninstalled Parallels Tools from the control panel. Now it only freezes when I click on Install Parallels Tools option.

2. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

Here's a question: I'm using Parallels through Bootcamp. Why is when I start up my VM OS X prompts for my user name and password, then the VM starts up? Is that normal? The initial setup of my VM through Bootcamp worked out fine, Tools installed okay and once VM is up it runs well under Coherence (love Coherence).

3. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

"Well, I tried again following your steps and still when 3186 boots into my XP Pro SP2 VM, it freezes about 30 seconds after it gets fully booted. I can boot into Safe mode. I've removed everything that was autostarting: Zone Alarm, AVG virus protection and TiVo Desktop. I also uninstalled Parallels Tools from the control panel. Now it only freezes when I click on Install Parallels Tools option."

Sounds like there is an incompatible service running inside Windows. If you have the original Windows XP SP2 disk, create a new drive image and install the Parallels Tools. If that works, it just means there is for sure something within your Windows install the is conflicting with Parallels.

What I would recommend, is to create the new image and do your tools install. Then, shutdown Windows, quit Parallels, then make an archive of your drive image and call it something like BaseLine_1.zip.

Restart Parallels, and load some of your software. Quit Windows, then restart the VM and be sure everthing still works. If so, shutdown Windows again, quit Parallels, then make antoher archive of your drive image and call it BaseLine_2.zip. At this point, you can always dump the first archive you made.

Repeat this process until something screws up. This will help you to figure out was is causing the conflict and, by having the archives to go back to, will save you time from having to do a full install all over again.

I don't know of any other way to isolate the problem. :cool:

4. realtelford

realtelford Bit poster

I also have the same problem in that my legit box activation key will not work - I am awaiting a reply from the company. My Boxed version is only three weeks old.

5. cran

cran Bit poster

Just upgraded to 3186...seems to work ok... only thing i can't do is drag the coherance windows to my second monitor...other than that..seems to be working OK.

6. sdavissm

sdavissm Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm just going to roll back to 3170 and hope it doesn't expire. I works perfectly. If I reinstall XP I'm going to have to call India again for activation, as I've moved this perfectly legal copy of Windows XP from a PC to Microsoft's Virtual PC to Bootcamp and then to Parallels, always wiping out the old versions. I hate being on hold all that time just to activate software I haven't done anything illegal with.

7. AdamAnt316

AdamAnt316 Bit poster

Now that I've finally gotten past the whole "Non-Standard Boot Camp Partition" error nonsense, build 3186 has worked fine for me. Even recognizes my Maxtor external drive for what it is, unlike build 3120. :D
    -Adam

8. sactobob

sactobob Bit poster

iMac..10.4.8....no partitions...no BootCamp...using XP Pro....no problems. Actually, I have installed every update from the start and had no problems with installing or running other than the "known" problems. I had the mouse problem mentioned by Horizontal but that was only in the very first version. There was a keyboard combination to fix that problem, each time it occurred, I discovered, but it's been awhile. It was something-escape --- probably either option or control.

9. fbx

fbx Hunter

By Vista Ultimate do you mean you're running Vista with AERO enabled and all bells and whistles, or are you simply referring to the box you bought?

I installed Vista Home Premium in Parallels on my iMac 20" Dual Core with 2 G of ram, but Vista runs in the Vista Basic mode--none fo the slick stuff, no Aero, etc. I tried increasin the RAM allocated in the Parallels VM, but that didn't change anything.

How do I get the bells and whistles in Vista?

10. Art Shotwell

Art Shotwell Bit poster

I cannot copy and paste text between MacOS and WinXP since the upgrade. Won't go either direction.

11. greghk

greghk Bit poster

Hi, now running okay with Windows XP Home edition. Had some initial problems with the update, that meant I needed to uninstall and then reinstall parallel tools but now seems okay, Note that I am running this on the Boot Camp partition.

12. darreln

darreln Member

Yes, I am simply referring the Vista "version", there' slike 87 of them :(
    AERO and DirectX will 'NOT' work under Parallels, because there is no hardware acceleration (yet, they say).

hope this helps.

Darrel

13. SoSa11

SoSa11 Bit poster

It is running fine with Windows XP Home edition. Have some problems with the USB external hard disk: it takes several minutes to mount, but when mounts it works fine.

14. scotleag

scotleag Bit poster

Upgraded successfully from 1970 despite the updater telling me 1970 was up to date. Downloaded and installed without being asked for activation key. Only problems so far have been in obtaining drivers for iSight and unable to copy/paste charts from SPSS - neither of which appear to be a problem with Parallels.

Using in Coherence view which both looks and works a treat.

15. wendyh

wendyh Junior Member

How did you manage this? Not wanting to run into the license key problems, I've not installed the 26 Feb version of 3186 I downloaded (eventually) from the Parallels site, but every time I open Parallels 1970 and check for new versions it tells me that I'm up to date.

16. scotleag

scotleag Bit poster

I took a chance, reckoning that if there were problems I could always uninstall the new edition (there is an uninstaller on the disk image) and re-install 1970 using the licence key. So I just downloaded the new version and opened it up. It installed automatically as an upgrade - not a full installation - which is why I suppose it never asked for the key.

One thing: I note on this forum that a lot of the people who have run into the same problem - based in Europe and their current installation saying it's up to date - have purchased a boxed edition from somewhere. Although I'm in the UK my original copy of Parallels was downloaded direct from the Parallels site.

Also, I never upgraded to any of the Release Candidates so this upgrade was direct from 1970 to 3186.

Hope this helps

17. wendyh

wendyh Junior Member

Ah OK. I read your previous post as implying you'd upgraded from within 1970, hence the question.

My situation is identical to yours -- in UK, purchased Parallels online, and never upgraded from 1970 (never knew there were any RCs because there were no email notifications as there had been up to 1970, the software always said it was up to date, and it never occured to me to look further).

So I'm now trying the installation from the Feb 26 downloaded file. It appears to have installed OK as an upgrade so I'm OK with the licence key too. (Reboot OS X. Restart Parallels.) Tools uninstalled and installed correctly. So far, so good.

My Canon USB 2 devices work! :D Scanner (Canoscan LiDE 35) and printer (iP4300) both. YES! Both these devices provoked instant blue-screens before. Both USB dongles (Rainbow Tech Ultrapro and HASP) still OK. The Windows XP VM is running way faster than under 1970 which had become progressively slower and slower and had even started crashing on me out of the blue in the last month.

So far I'm a very happy camper. Congrats to the Parallels team. Drag and drop between the VM and OS X desktop is a great feature. Now to try Coherence.

18. scotleag

scotleag Bit poster

I did install from within 1970. The reference to re-installing was in the event of 3186 overriding 1970 but failing to accept the licence key.

It appears the only real problem with downloaded versions in the UK is the reluctance of the 1970 build to recognise its obsolescence. AI anybody?

The only slight problem I've encountered since last posting is that Parallels hung when starting up. It appears not to have shut down properly as anti-virus software was still running. A quick reset soon fixed though.

Like you most peripherals seem okay and drag and drop is a real boon. The only real problem is iSight.

19. claudiavp

claudiavp Bit poster

Everything works fine! Upgraded from 1970 to 3186. I-MAC Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.4.8, Running XP Pro. As for isight, download bootcamp from apple, start to install, it says you must burn a disc of Mac drivers, do that, once it is done it will ask what size partition to make, at this point click go back and then quit. Eject your cdrom you just made and fire up Parallels. Once up, load your cdrom and install the drivers and restart windows. Everything works great! Hey, we all know windows is nowhere near a mac, but with this you really do have the best of both worlds. And most important your main os is MAC!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  20. wendyh

wendyh Junior Member

:confused: Then my original question still stands. How did you manage to download and install 3186 from within 1970 when the update checker was telling you the software was up to date and therefore giving you no access to any downloads?

I closed 1970 and ran the installation directly from the independently downloaded file, which I'd been hesitating to do because the forum threads on the European licence key problems seemed to indicate that if you managed to download 3186 from within the program (via software update) then the licence keys worked OK.