Build 3186 and Black Screen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by clarusmoof, Feb 28, 2007.

1. clarusmoof

clarusmoof Bit poster

I just installed the final release candidate 3186 and now when I launch Parallels Desktop for Mac I get a black screen.:( :mad: XP seems to go throught the normal boot up but then all I get is black. No error messages.

Any thoughts? :confused:

thanks

clarusmoof

2. TomN

TomN Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, updated to the current release version 3168, and know when XP starts, I see the initial boot process, (bois screen), then the Windows XP starting screen, then when it should show the login screen, I get just a black screen. I can located with the mouse the login button (the pointer changes) and actually login, I hear the windows chimes as the desktop loads, but still the screen is blank.

Tom N.

3. TomN

TomN Bit poster

Just to add some more info, I also have a Ubuntu Virtual Machine, and it runs without problems.

Tom N.

4. viewpoint

viewpoint Bit poster

same

I upgraded from build 1970 to build 3186 and when i start XP, i get the spash screen then....nothing but black. What gives? Running on a MacbookPro 10.4.8 w/2.33 core2duo and 2gb of ram.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

the old fix for this is previous RCs was to shutdown the windows vm, then restart windows in Safe Mode. Then install Parallels tools. then reboot.

6. jjhaydeniii@earthlink.net

jjhaydeniii@earthlink.net Bit poster

Windows black screen

Same here- upgraded to 3186, was in the process of installing VM tools and windows goes to black.

I noticed that I had 0 video devices in the configuration editor & enabling custom screen resolutions did nothing.

So what happened to the video driver and how do I get it back?

If I was in pure windows I'd go into safe mode but I cannot interrupt the XP boot to get to that point.

How do I get back to where I was? Uninstall seems to do no good.

JJ Hayden

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

*looks up one post*

8. dbrashear

dbrashear Bit poster

Doesn't help get to safe mode; I got right from bios to black screen, no starting screen, no chance for anything else.

9. liven2

liven2 Bit poster

No boot Black Sreen -- same issue

Just upgraded... Booted or tried to boot in XP It starts to boot, Get black Screen some whtie text then nothing.... just hangs and CPU's start to max out... Very UGLY...

10. p0ppe

p0ppe Bit poster

Same problem here with the new build. This time on Windows 2000.

11. jgoodall

jgoodall Bit poster

I am having the same problem with XP VM. This seems to be more than an isolated incident....

12. jgoodall

jgoodall Bit poster

This worked for me w/ XP SP2. Hold down F8 when booting to get into safe mode.

13. p0ppe

p0ppe Bit poster

That fixed it for me.

14. mida2

mida2 Bit poster

I confirm: same problem, same solution.

15. xray

xray Junior Member

How do I F8?

OK, stupid question. How do I F8? I turn on and off my keyboard light when I F8 when booting...

Thanks.

16. xray

xray Junior Member

Figured it out, thanks.

fn+F8

17. xray

xray Junior Member

Fixed. Video is back. Good answer, thanks all.

18. Ifif

Ifif Bit poster

Same problem!!

Tried to boot up holding down F8 to get to safe mode, nothing happens, just black screen.
    I'm going back to 3170 until they ironed out all the bugs. I reckoned they released this update prematurely and we are all suffering for it.

Can't figure why it works for others.

19. CBinParadise

CBinParadise Bit poster

There's another thread related to this

There's a closely related thread at:

Parallels Support Forum > Technical Discussions > Parallels Desktop for Mac >
    Build 3186 / Win XP -- can't see windows desktop

Just a n00b trying to be helpful...CB

20. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

if F8 doesnt get you into Safe Mode, try holding the "fn" key and pressing F8