Microchip ICD2 support yet with Parallels Desktop 1940?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joegrand, Oct 12, 2006.

1. joegrand

joegrand Bit poster

I bought Parallels back in August specifically in hopes that I could use my new MacBook Pro (15", 2Ghz, 2GB RAM) to work on my Microchip PIC development. I've been hoping that recent updates (I'm using 1940) would solve the problems, but I just haven't had any luck.

When the device connects, Windows makes the connected "beep" and about 5 seconds later makes the disconnected "beep" and then the infamous Parallels "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually." dialog box appears. Parallels sees the ICD2 hardware as "Vendor Specific 04d8:8000"

I've tried rebooting, restarting the VM, and enabling and disabling USB Auto-Connect. I even e-mailed Parallels support and offered to loan them my Microchip ICD2 hardware for development/testing, but never heard back. The ICD2 hardware works in Boot Camp, so it's clearly a Parallels issue.

Has anybody been able to get their Microchip ICD2 device working with Parallels yet at all?

Also, could someone from Parallels please comment on the likelihood of ICD2 support ever becoming a reality? Again, I'll loan out my hardware. Ootherwise, it's back to Boot Camp or hope VMware can do the job.

Thanks,

Joe

2. Art

Art Junior Member

I haven't received my MacBook yet but it'll come by the end of the month. I also was a "early buyer" of Parallels, for 2 reasons:
    1/ cheaper during the beta period, which allowed to early-buy Crossover Mac too
    2/ it was a way to say "good luck guys, i believe in you!"

I'll use Parallels for MPLab PIC dev too, also using the ICD2 USB device. It works fine in "legacy" MS Virtual PC, so it MUST work under Parallels!

Now, good luck guys!

3. RobW

RobW Junior Member

I've had success with 3XXX (whatever is current today) and the ICD2, the Pickit2, but not the Real Ice.

Get the newest version of Parallels.

4. joegrand

joegrand Bit poster

Yup, RC2 and RC3 have worked for me. Great job, Parallels! I'm tempted to throw away my PC laptop now :) Along with the Microchip ICD2, the Freescale SPYDER08 module for their HCS08 parts also works perfectly!

Joe

5. Art

Art Junior Member

Parallels and electronic design rocks!