.psf Problem on 3186

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dentarthurdent, Mar 2, 2007.

1. dentarthurdent

dentarthurdent Bit poster

Hello there,
    I have been using the RC version of Parallels successfully for a while now and have just purchased and installed the new version.
    I am running a new Intel Mac Mini and don't use Parallels with Boot Camp - it is just a stand alone programme within OS X.Pretty much the only thing I have been using it for is Microsoft Money.
    However, since upgrading I can't get at my files. They had been saved in a PSF called ".Mac on .psf" and this is no longer showing up when I open up the Parallels Shared Folder desktop icon. If I open My Network Places I can see the link to this folder but when I try and open it it demands a password - I have never set up a password and have no idea what to enter. I can see two other .psf folders within My Network Places (Untitiled on .psf and Windows XP on .psf) and can open them within any problems.
    Does anyone have any idea what has happened during the upgrade to cause this and how I can get into this folder?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Dent.

2. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

A couple of things:

On the Mac side, any folder named with a "dot" as the first character is a hidden folder on the Mac.

Can you see the folder on the Mac?
    If not, create a new "Money Data" folder in your Documents folder, then use the Finder "Go" menu "Go to Folder..." command and type in the full path to where you created your ".Mac" folder. Example: Type in "/users/yourusername/.Mac" substituting "yourusername" for your user name. You get the idea though. This will open the directory on your Mac as a window. Now, copy the contents of this hidden folder into your newly created "Money Data" folder.

In Parallels, shutdown the VM and select "Edit" "Virtual Machine..."

Select "Shared Folders". Click the "+" sign, give the new share a name, then click the "Choose..." button to point to your "Money Data" folder. Notice that the "Choose..." feature does NOT show hidden folders on the Mac side. Now click "OK"

Launch the VM. If you want, you can map that drive to a drive letter (Like Drive M for "money").

Anyways, that should take care of what you need. Good Luck!

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The .mac folder is enabled with the Global Share option in the VM configuration. You have to shut down, not suspend, the VM to get access to this option. When you enable Global Sharing you will likely see your files again. Global Sharing was enabled by default a couple beta's ago but has since been disabled by default owing to security concerns.

It would probably be better to locate your files in a folder accessable via a share to your home folder on the Mac. This will enable access whether Global Sharing is on or off.