Bootcamp without full version of windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Quickdraw, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Member

Does anyone know if this is possible? I went through all the trouble to putting bootcamp on my system, put together a disk with sp2 on it only to hear that I HAD TO have a full version of windows. Is this true, or can it be done without the FULL VERSION? Thanks for your time.

2. rogermh

rogermh Bit poster

Not sure exactly what you mean by the "full" version, but I've used the OEM version with both Boot Camp and Parallels with no issues.

3. hookedonitunes

hookedonitunes Junior Member

easy. create a new folder on your desktop. insert your previous windows version (win98/ME/200) cd and copy all the files and folders from that to the new folder. insert the XP cd and copy all the files and folders from that into the same new folder (if it asks if you want to overwrite, do so). now simply burn all the files in the new folder to a DVD. Start setup. When it asks you to insert a previous version of Windows CD, simply click the enter key. After that when it tells you to put the xp cd back in, just click enter again. Continue setup as usual...

EDIT: remember when you copy the files to make sure you copy and hidden files that may also be on the cds

4. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Member

How about some info as to how you did it

You know, full version as opposed to upgrade version. I've got parallels up and running ok, just would like the option of using it via bootcamp, but can't get it running. Any input on how you got it going?

5. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Member

Hoodedonitunes,

Surely it is not that easy :) This is very similar to the method I already used only I didn't put the files of the previous version on the disc, and it wasn't a dvd disc either. I'll give this a shot. It seems pretty straight forward/easy. Are you sure that using a dvd isn't going to cause some problems? I mean I've heard that you can use any type of disc, -r, -rw, etc, but the -rw definately don't work.