Guest/Host networking when not physically connected

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dmeehan, Mar 4, 2007.

1. dmeehan

dmeehan Bit poster

I am a newbie to Parallels and the mac! I'm having problems setting up the following config, specifically when I am not physically connected to my LAN via Ethernet or Wireless.

I've got a MacBook 2ghz, 2GB with Parallels build 3186.
    I have installed Ubuntu 6.10 as a guest. This is configured with a static IP of 192.168.0.100.
    I have a router on the network, 192.68.0.1. All other clients including the mac are on DHCP.

On Ubuntu I run a webserver (XAMPP). I want to be able to access the webserver from Firefox on the mac host (and also from a WinXP guest).

I use bridged networking in the Ubuntu guest (and the XP one).

When physically connected to the LAN, all is well. I can use SMB to access the Ubuntu shares, and with an entry in /private/etc/hosts I can connect to virtual hosts on the Ubuntu web server.

When I disconnect from the LAN, the mac looses its IP address. The Parallels bridge and shared networking adapters are still up. The Ethernet adapter (en0) shows 'status:inactive' and no IP address.

I can no longer ping or connect to 192.168.0.100. I've tried setting a static address on en0 in the same subnet as Ubuntu, but no joy.

I don't mind having a seperate network location setup if that simplifies things.

I realise I could setup Apache, mySql and PHP under OSX, which is a fall back.

Why do I want to do this? I will be travelling shortly and need to be able to do web development whilst away, and won't be connected to a LAN or Wireless net most of the time. At the moment, I can't talk to Ubuntu at all whne physically disconnected from the LAN.

Cheers
    Dave

2. dmeehan

dmeehan Bit poster

As a further note, if I set a static IP address in the XP guest, I can still connect via firefox and shared files to the Ubuntu guest. The problem is connecting the mac host to the Ubuntu guest.

Cheers
    Dave