The End of Civilization (IV)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by criscusack, Apr 25, 2006.

1. criscusack

criscusack Bit poster

Well, good news and bad news: For some reason, the CD I was using for Boot Camp must have been different in some way than the Windows XP CD I used later. Once I switched CD's (using the .iso version of the XP CD) it was recognized, and from there Windows worked fine.

Now the bad news: Much of the whole point of this exercise was to get to where I could play my beloved Civilization IV without having to reboot into Windows or waiting until June for the Mac version to come out (heaven forbid we should wait! http://forum.parallels.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif). Anyway, the problem now is that although I put the correct Civ disc in when I go to play the game, it doesn't recognize it. Odd, since it recognized that same disc when it was time to install the game, but not to play it. Go figure.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

2. chartb

chartb Member

Civ IV has all sorts of nasty copy protection on the disk, to the point where I (and many other people) had problems playing it under XP on a real PC. Bad CD's, copy protection that interfered with PC operation, etc. My solution on my real system was to get a no-CD 'patch' for the game, and then everything worked fine. It really sucks when the copy protection of a game punishes people who acutally buy the game, but not those who illegally download it, but that's a rant for another day. You might want to try a similar tact under Parallels...

By the way, CIV IV requires Direct X 9, which (to my understanding) Parallels does not support... does it install and function?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  3. bug_face_uk

bug_face_uk Bit poster

So DirectX 9 installs fine, I've not managed to find a "no-CD" patch (I'm just not yo-ho-hoenough to know where to look). BUT reading the box it does say that hardware texture and lighting is required.. so it probably won't work.

That said, didn't stop me trying... but hey ho!

4. criscusack

criscusack Bit poster

Thanks very much. I was going to try to use a .iso file and make that theVM's CD drive, but Roxio could not even create an .iso in the first place, and this on a real PC (Gateway Laptop). Must be that lovely Copy Protection. AAARRRR.

Thanks again!
    --CCC