VPN and network adapter problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by teajay, Mar 4, 2007.

1. teajay

teajay Bit poster

Hello,

I'm running the Nortel Contivity VPN client (version 5.something) on windows xp in parallels build 3170.

When I hit the connect button on the client, I get the following message: "Eacfilt driver must be bound to active interface(s): Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Adapter."

From what I've been able to figure out, the VPN client expects the Eacfilt driver to be associated with all available network adapters. When I check network adapters in the windows control panel, I find only the parallels driver and the Eacfilt driver IS associated with it.

I'm trying to figure out how the VPN client is finding the Realtek adapter when windows doesn't seem to know it exists? Is it something about the way parallels handles networking?

I've tried both shared and bridged modes and used the parallels utils to switch back and forth from the Parallels driver to the "native" Realtek driver -- nothing seems to work . .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Tom

2. mag

mag Junior Member

A lot of these VPN-clients are crap, installing low-level drivers and distubing Windows. Is this particular one working under the same Windows-installation on a real PC?

Usually i prefer to connect the Host-OS (MacOS X) via VPN and have Windows/Parallels working in shared network mode through the tunnel.
    Works fine for me e.g. with Ciscos VPN and of course the MacOS built in PPtP.

3. teajay

teajay Bit poster

Mag,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, this client does work on a normal pc and yes it is kind of crap. Unfortunately, this is what my company's remote access folks demand we use, so I'm kind of stuck. I've downloaded the Apani nortel client with the idea of doing what you reccomend -- connect my mac to the vpn -- but I'll need to get the group id and password out of my support people and I'm expecting they may be a bit reluctant to give that information out . . .

best,

tom

4. mag

mag Junior Member

Another good general VPN-Client is VPNTracker for MacOS X

Of course it's still necessary to to talk to the support staff for password etc... but if explained, maybe they are going to help you.

regards.