Is there a beta 5 coming soon? + restoring two Ghost partitions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by snak-pak, Apr 24, 2006.

1. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

Got a kernel panic shortly after closing out beta4 today. Before that happened, Windows 2000 had emerged from 'suspend' slower than usual. Therefore, I am looking forward to the next beta... and hopefully full USB support one day soon. Since Parallels is first-to-market on OS X we should all buy their software once they get the bugs worked out. :) For kicks, I even tried an AmigaOS (Motorola 68040) emulater inside a Windows 2000 VM on my OS X MacBook Pro, and it did indeed run but alas, the mouse didn't work properly. I guess I can't have perfection...

If I can do the following, I'll buy the software:

Is there anyway to install a Ghost'ed image into Parallels VM for Mac? Ideally I would like to restore 2 partitions (C: and D:) from my work computer into a VM. It's running Windows XP right now, and I prefer traveling with one laptop instead of two. Can restoring two Ghosted partitions be done? And if so, will I then encounter licensing issues (with Microsoft Update) using a VM'ed copy of my legitimate Corporate XP Pro license?

Merci pour votre assistance,
    snak

2. keirnna

keirnna Member

I think paralles is great, but why does everyone keep claiming that it is the first to market. That is not true.

3. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Name another app that does VM on an Intel Mac.

4. keirnna

keirnna Member

5. DBCohen

DBCohen Junior Member

Yeah, right. Wintel is an Intel compile of an x86 emulator. It is not a virtualisation product - and you only need to try it and see its performance to realise that.

Parallels uses a different approach, and is a completely different type of product.

6. keirnna

keirnna Member

Well I guess you got me on that one. You're correct that bochs is emmulator, not just a virtualization device like parallels. I am not going to pay for Wintel, but I am planning on paying for parallel if it meets my needs. I do like it so far.

7. daj

daj Member

I stupidly bought Wintel and then discovered Parallels VM the next day. I've now bought (pre-ordered) VM as it is fantastic.

8. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

Just wondering why you had to go ahead and hijack my thread. I had a couple of specific questions which have been sidetracked by your need to go off-topic. There's no other commercial virtual machine for OS X on Intel at the moment. If you want to debate this, please start your own thread and don't reply here.

What I am looking for, AGAIN, is the ability to use Ghost'ed images inside the Parallels VM. And ideally that would be two NTFS partitions that will see each other. Since a Ghost boot disk normally uses USB or Firewire (or a network) to retrieve its images, I doubt this will work in beta4... but how about a future beta that supports USB fully? Then, I had a question about potential licensing issues in doing this. Does someone have some suggestions?

9. keirnna

keirnna Member

Oh let me answer your questions, one you should not have problems if you got the ghost to work licencing wise; however, legally I think you would be on thin ice.

Can you use ghost with PW, I am pretty sure, but here is the thing ghost is a copy of XP for your other laptop. XP ties itself to the specific hardware in your computer so it would give you the BSoD after you had "ghosted" your PWVM because the hardware was different. There is a way in XP's registry to unattatch it from its specific hardware, and force it to reasses its drivers. You need to do this, and I would suggest poking around google for an answer on that. Once that is done, reboot your laptop, and ghost it. You can also burn ghost images to a disk so there shouldn't really be an issue. Drive Image or Ghost should work.

10. zmonster

zmonster Member

That "wintel" product is a PIECE OF GARBAGE. It does not work as advertised, and it's a cheap re-distribution of existing open-source code. I wasted my money on it.

11. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

Thanks. I didn't know XP is tied to specific hardware but it makes sense for licensing and DRM (ugh) to do so. I'll try to research what registry settings need to be changed an post a link. In Windows 2000 it would "find new video card/USB subsystem/IDE controller/etc" so I assumed XP would be the same. Sounds like it's a little harder than that, I don't want to get fired by my company for making the required changes to Ghost the laptop and causing problems with the existing install...

12. keirnna

keirnna Member

Well the main thing that it is going to have an issue with is the difference in motherboard. Windows is pretty good and IDE, Video, and USB changes on the fly. As long as you have admin permissions on your works laptop there shouldn't be an issue. All the computer will do when it comes back online is run the "Found new hardware wizard."

13. mlandel

mlandel Member

Is there anyway to install a Ghost'ed image into Parallels VM for Mac? Ideally I would like to restore 2 partitions (C: and D:) from my work computer into a VM. It's running Windows XP right now, and I prefer traveling with one laptop instead of two.

I used g4u (freeware utility ona CD that boots linux and can copy partitions locally or across a network connection) to duplicate a drive.

I also used g4u to increase the size of my VM drive since the image tool is not yet available for MacOS:

1) create larger hdd file
    2) connect both drives to the VM
    3) Use g4u to copy from small drive to larger drive. The new partition will be the same size as the old drive.
    4) Use freeware partition re-sizer (presizer) to connect the empty space of the larger drive to the new drive's existing partition.