How to Shut Down in Coherence Mode?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Pair o L, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

I've been using Parallels since October. I use it to run Windows 2000 to run a few Windows-only apps that I use on a regular basis. I have to say it's a fabulous product.

I was very excited to upgrade to 3186 to try out Coherence mode, and it works quite well. However, I can't get the Start Menu to load for anything. I've used the search on the forum, and have tried all the tricks:

- Double-click/Right-Click/Opt-Click/Ctrl-Opt-Click dock icon
    - Using hide yes/no on taskbar
    - Using show taskbar yes/no within Parallels

It doesn't seem any combination of setting will allow the Start Menu to come up. I've added my favorite applications to the list, so it's not an issue with launching apps. But now I have no way to shutdown the virtual machine. I have to show the taskbar, then select Start > Shutdown. Then the next time Parallels launches, I have to hide the taskbar again.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. GradientMan

GradientMan Bit poster

Another possibility is right-clicking (or control-clicking if you don't have a two button mouse) on the Parallels icon in the dock, and picking "Start Menu".

3. ammonsc

ammonsc Bit poster

Command/Apple Key

When Parallels is the active application you can hit the Command (Apple) key. That will bring up the start menu. You can also set a preference so that when you close the application it Stops the VM instead of suspending. Mine is set to ask me what to do and I prefer that setup instead of the default suspend.

4. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

Tried that one also. No luck. But thanks.

5. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion ammonsc. I tried this, but it appear that the "Stop" just causes Parallels to kill the virtual machine without a shutdown, the equivalent of just pushing the power button on a running computer. Windows 2000 doesn't care for this much.

Is there anyway to get the "Stop" command to issue a "Shutdown" to Windows?

6. abanks

abanks Hunter

Using keyboard to shutdown windows:

2000 / XP: Windows key + U then U again to turn off or R to restart

Vista: Windows Key, Right, Right, Right, u

7. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

What do you use for the Windows key on your MacBook? I tried Ctrl-Esc, but it doesn't work.

8. abanks

abanks Hunter

The windows key is also the apple key, you can change this to be the ctrl key in the parallels preferences under key mapping.

CTRL + Escape also works.

Note: you must be in parallels to use the key combos i.e you cant be on the mac desktop and hit the apple key as parallels cannot see it

9. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I tried that, too. For some reason, NOTHING will launch the start menu except unhiding the taskbar and clicking it. I'm going to try reinstalling the Parallel tools tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll find an app that intiates a shutdown and create a Favorite Applications link to it.

10. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

Reinstalling Parallels Tools didn't help. Argh. This is driving me batty.

11. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I have dropped coherence mode

I just use a big window circa 19 inch on a 22 inch screen

Hugh W

12. Pair o L

Pair o L Bit poster

For someone like me that runs only one Windows app at a time, and only a couple times per week, Coherence is nice. Not having to deal with the whole Windows UI (taskbar, system tray, desktop, etc) when you really only need one window is great. It's the next best thing to Darwine actually working.

That's a nice monitor you have there. I'm stuck on a 1280x800 MacBook screen myself. Real estate is precious on a 13-inch display!

13. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

at 71 years of age my old eyes need all the help they can get and it will take me 3 years to pay for it all

I live like a student on a shoe string
    with the MacBook pro as the one luxury in June 2006
    adding the cinema screen in September

I got rid of cable TV and use freebie sattelite stuff
    just a matter of a tiny budget

in UK TalkTalk is the cheapest telephony and broadband - rebadged BT like all of them

Huh W