Computer locked up... now Parallels and Boot Camp won't work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joelwnelson, Mar 4, 2007.

1. joelwnelson

joelwnelson Junior Member

My MacBook completely froze (screen went black) while running Parallels, while booted up from the Boot Camp partition with XP SP2. Upon rebooting the computer, I found that the Windows partition will not boot (giving me a hal.dll error) and Parallels won't start up, saying that more than one Windows partition was found and it is not a standard configuration.

What can I do to fix this? I can't afford to remove the partition and reinstall everything... I would think there has to be a simpler solution. (Although... this is Windows XP we're talking about. :mad:)

Attached Files:

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Load up Disk Utility and eject/unmount any bootcamp or windows partitions. Unplug all usb devices. Restart
    the computer, load Disk Utility, Mount the Bootcamp partition, and try to load up parallels.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. joelwnelson

joelwnelson Junior Member

Didn't work...

4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

How about deleting your old Parallels Bootcamp VM profile and creating a new one. Then try to load up the new one. Shut it down. And restart bootcamp natively?

5. fbx

fbx Hunter

Curious if you recovered from this tragedy? This is what worries me most about having Parallels using teh Bootcamp partition. I have been running Bootcamp itself seamlessly for 9 months. Never even a hint of a problem.

I'm thinking about using Parallels Bootcamp and I think I should be afraid, very afraid.

6. erutherford

erutherford Junior Member

You should be, we have had nothing but issues and the Parallels support team doesn't respond to tickets. I have one user who's network adapter won't work in parallels I haven't recieved anything back from that and its been over a month since the first ticket and over 2 weeks since I submitted the second ticket. I other users (multiple) who are no longer able to boot via bootcamp because they are recieve the same hal.dll error that is listed in this post. I have recieved no response to that and none of the resolutions listed in the forums that I have found so far have resovled the issue.

7. Scooty

Scooty Bit poster

same for me...

hi there...

i´m testing 3188 (= my first version ever) since yesterday......

nothing but problems...

i have 2 x 250 GB disks (system, apps, data, swap-volume; 2nd is for mirroring backups) and 1 80 GB disk (32 GB partition with boot camp)on a mac pro 3 GHz...

yesterday, i had a lot of trouble, setting it up and getting into our windows network, finally it worked... then my mac crashed... 1 250 GB disk was completely wrecked... my mac wasnt bootable any more... hardware errors during boot.

when i tried to boot my bootcamp partition, i also got the HAL.DLL error...

today i tested my mac... i only was able to reformat the 250 GB disk via the win-xp installer on the install-cd... no other chances... after that, i was able to repair my bootcampo partition: boot from the win-xp installer and let the win installer repair your windows (do NOT try a new installation!!! REPAIR is the secret!!!) . after that, my xp was booting flawlessly...

next step: setting up my mac again from my (luckily) prepared backup (via carbon copy ccloner))

mac was booting, all right now... so i reinstalled parallesl again... nnow problems, all is working... except the fact, that xp wont detect my VMs network adapter... i can´t acces my network any mooore via parallels...

the network-driver (in device manager) cant be installed... neither the parallels driver, nor the e rrealtek driver... i also tried to download the win-driver setup from realtek... no chance... i wont get my network running...

yesterday it worked, today not...

i have no clue any more... any help is VERY welcome!