built 3186 =blue -> black screen after first VM booting - now nothing is working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by funico, Mar 3, 2007.

1. funico

funico Bit poster

wow - what a sh...
    I am running bootcamp with XP Prof. SP2

1.) I intalled 3186, first blue screen, nothing happpend. shut down the VM
    2.) 2nd try, vm choose the parallels partition, than black screen
    3) 3rd try, not possible to boot the vm partition "parallels configuration" message shows up: "file is missing or destroyed: windows/system32/config/system"
    Please repair with windows cd /R etc.

sorry for my bad english. I am German.

4) tryed to start Win XP Pro SP2 native via bootcamp, but it is not possible to boot too.

now the parallels VM and the bootcamp WinXP is not working.

What should I do??
    best
    funico

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

make a new Parellels VM without bootcamp

You bootcamp people seem to be suffering :-(

In June 2006 I chose Parallels instead of Bootcamp which I regarded as old technology then

I am using a danish OEM WinXp sp2 with no problems except those of my own making
    on an english PowerBook Pro Mac OS 10.4.8

good luck

Hugh W

3. funico

funico Bit poster

I NEEED bootcamp, because I use it for work and it is the only "stabele/robust" system at te moment wich works without problems.
    I tryed out oparallels VM and now I got the grand prix :(

4. Bear

Bear Bit poster

You shoud wait for an update of parallels. I have the same problem with build 3186. I'm sure it is a bug in parallels.
    Fortunately, I had a complet backup of my bootcamp partition (Drive XML).

5. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

3186 black out screen issue

For those that are having issues withthe black out screen once installing 3186, this fix is easy.
    Start windows within safe mode install Parallels tools and restart in normal mode.
    Issue fixed.:)

6. Gilder53

Gilder53 Junior Member

How do you boot in safe mode? Holding down while starting the VM F8 doesn't do anything for me. Same black screen,

7. Tyland1200

3186 black out issue

To get into saf mode, press the "F8" key down while windows boots up.
    on a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro key board, just press the "F8" key as well the "fn" key.
    On any other keyboard the F8 anone will work just fine.

8. Elbe

Elbe Junior Member

Got the same problem, but i am not using my bootcamp partition. Everything works fine at starting but than its just black. How can i solve this without reinstalling a whole new vm ?

..and i got the tools already installed.

haha , did it three times, now it works. Thanks anyway for the tip :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  9. Tyland1200

Safe Mode Access

To assit in getting into safe mode MAC keyboards all oprate and access diferently.
    For the MACbook it is the "fn" and the "F8" key at the same time.
    Macbook Pro is the "apple Key" then the "F8"
    Imac is "F8" alone
    From my resources Parlallels is working on fixing these Black Screen issues, hopefully soon they will not be an issue.

Tyland1200

10. Randy Bisig

Randy Bisig Bit poster

Thanks to Tyland1200 for this tidbit about F8 and the black screen issue. Sounds like something that should be in the Manual. (Yes, I searched it.)

I was just about to dump Parallels and load up Boot Camp again.

~~~randy~~>

11. Tyland1200

Tools update

Hi all,

When installing new tools for new builds it is recommended that you first uninstall the old tools through the add/remove programs area of the Windows OS. The install the new tools. Overriding these tools causes quite a few problems.

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Did you upgrade from another build?

Have you tried upgrading to Build 3188? What is your system configuration (RAM, OS vs., etc.)?

Seeing this is a 'supported feature' in a 'stable build', the answer should not have to be 'do not use BootCamp'. I use BootCamp in our office very successfully, I just make sure any upgrades are preceeded by backing up completely, all tools are un-installed, Parallels is un-installed, followed by a complete install again. It is more work than I should have to incurr, but except when Windows actually went down once, things have worked for the most part...

Do you have a back-up of BootCamp to restore to?

13. Camel26

Camel26 Bit poster

Black screen issue stilled not resolved

To assit in getting into safe mode MAC keyboards all oprate and access diferently.
    For the MACbook it is the "fn" and the "F8" key at the same time.
    Macbook Pro is the "apple Key" then the "F8"
    Imac is "F8" alone
    From my resources Parlallels is working on fixing these Black Screen issues, hopefully soon they will not be an issue.

Tyland1200

I have tried all the above combos, with the mouse captured in the VM and outside of the VM. I have a Macbook Pro and still can't get the VM to boot in safe mode. I orginally got this problem when I updated to 3188, and tried to update my drivers in the parallel tools center. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!

14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried doing those key combinations from inside of BootCamp?

15. Camel26

Camel26 Bit poster

Black screen issue stilled not resolved

I don't have bootcamp installed. Just Parallels.

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried backing up and then un-installing Parallels restarting and then re-installing your old version, restart, and then try going back in? If not, try it, un-install Parallels tools, completely un-install Parallels again, and then install the new version.

17. Camel26

Camel26 Bit poster

Black screen of death continues...

Eru,

Thanks for your last advice to me and your mass advice, posting, this afternoon. I will uninstall and reinstall parallels as you suggested, as my last option. Otherwise, has anybody else discovered a work around to getting the VM to boot in safe mode, where the f8 / fn+f8 / apple+f8 etc, has done nothing. Thanks again Eru, and thanks in advance to those with future advice.

Camel

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

19. anthos

anthos Bit poster

Solution to Black Screen is ..

1. connect a external USB Keyboard, if apple keyboard is not working
    2. When prompted with
    Micosoft Windows XP Professional
    Micosoft Windows Recovery Console
    hit F8, choose "Enable VGA Mode" from the list and continue to boot.
    3. Once logged in, uninstall Parallel Tools using Add/Remove Programs, reboot, relogin
    (4. You may or may install Parallel Tools)