Can't get ||s to open w/o running the op sys

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fbx, Mar 5, 2007.

1. fbx

fbx Hunter

I have eliminated most of my parallel's VMs. I have 1 left, a Win XP install. I can't get it to "OPEN" without running the Win operating system, i.e., it does NOT pause on the parallels sheet that says how the configuration is set up.

It goes to that sheet then flips over and starts windows. I thought it was supposed to stop on the configuration page/sheet and allow changes to be made there. For example, if you want to eliminate a VM it MUST be done from that sheet. You cannot deleted a VM if the op sys is running.

Is this some error in my setup or something else?

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

its set to auto start. in the pvs file, open it in a text editor and change the auto start option to 0

3. Al_Q

Al_Q Member

Can't configure VMs

That may not help. I have had the same problem since the first beta for this new release. In theory I should be able to start Parallels and it will find all my VMs and list them so I can configure them. In real life, all I get is the assistant that wants to help me install a new OS. Exit from the assistant and Parallels quits.

I can start any VM by double clicking a PVS file, and it immediately starts booting the guest OS (Windows or Linux). While it is running I can't configure it, and when I shut down the OS Parallels quits. There is absolutely no way to configure any VM, except to edit the .pvs file with a text editor.

Others have reported this problem and I have not seen any suggested solution except to turn off autostart in the PVS file, but in my case it is already off.

4. fbx

fbx Hunter

That's not it. "Start auto = 0" already.

I need to have access because (a) I have to instert my activation key (I had lost it and had to get another), and I need to make adjustments to the VM

In addition, I do not know how to duplicate this VM, so if this one needs to be replaced, I will lose everything on it.

Please -- any port in a storm here.

5. fbx

fbx Hunter

In my case it's off, too, and I get the immediate boot of Win XP and, when closing, the immediate close. I looked in the PVS file and autostart is off (set to 0).

Is this the sign of a screwed up installation, perhaps?

Anybody solved this problem? Or does no one else (other than me and Al_Q) have it as a problem?

Thx.

6. ajay

ajay Hunter

Don't take this to the bank, but I vaguely recall reading a post by someone with a similar problem. Their fix was to temporarily "rename" the winxp.hdd file. Parallels couldn't find the proper file to boot the guest OS and the configuration panel popped up. They did their thing with the config, saved it, renamed the .hdd file properly and they were back in business.

That doesn't fix the root of the problem though. Hopefully, the above will get you guys through your current dilemma.

7. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear FBX

Good morning to you and sorry to hear you issue..
    if you are just trying to put in the activation key.. once started, do ctrl-alt key which will show parallels menu and go to help and activate product...
    if above is not what you are trying to do and have selected all default installation optons...
    go to HD/applications/parallels/parallels desktop.app and lauch it... (not the pvs file)

Good luck!

JL