3186: What is "Kapersky Internet Security"...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dizzydeane, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dizzydeane

dizzydeane Member

And should I install it from the Action menu?... Also who is/was Kapersky ?

2. jkneen

jkneen Member

3. dizzydeane

dizzydeane Member

Tanx, BUT ...

Google had ~312,000 Kapersky url links & is useless (until later) for my real #1 question: "Should I install Kapersky Internet Security from the 3186 Action menu?". Again TANX.

PS: This "Kapersky thing" is new in 3186, ain't it? :confused:

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

its antivirus and spyware protection.. if you already have that, then no dont install it.. if you dont have it.. firstly slap yourself for being a windows user who doesnt have at least antivirus, then install it.. its free for 6 months.. that'l give you time to find free alternatives.

5. purpanther

purpanther Bit poster

I run windows in parallels and can choose to not save that session. Also, a virus inside the virtual machine cannot affect my host operating system ... so why do we need antivirus/antimalware software running? Seems like a huge waste of resources. Do you also run inside a regular user account in the virtual machine? If so why?

6. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

I treat my guest OS the same as if it was running on a real machine...to date I am not aware of any way for a virus to impact the host operating system, but I do not want a virus on my guest OS any more than I want one on a real machine...

If you are interested in a solid FREE antivirus and/or spyware solution for Windows, check out the products from AVG:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Cheers!

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Rubbish. Of course a Windows virus can affect your host. It needs only that you have sharing enabled. Global sharing is the very best option for a Windows virus to play with your host, but local sharing is just fine too. A Windows virus can install another virtual machine on your host, a Linux spambot, for example. A Windows virus can copy your virtual machines to a remote site where they will be installable and useable by the thief. A Windows virus can plant dangerous or exploitive code in unusual places on your host. There is actually nothing that you do on your host that a Windows virus cannot also do.