OK, one more time please... Saving files in Shared Folders

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jbuechel, Mar 6, 2007.

1. jbuechel

jbuechel Junior Member

I am trying to save open files from Vista- (word and corel draw).
    I can open and edit all of my shared files just fine but when I go to save them I am told they are a read only version and to save with a new name.

The file permissions for my Parallels shared folders are enabled and parallel tools is installed along with having the shared folder visable on my desktop.

BUT if I right click on properties of each nested folder inside of the Shared Folder they are all marked Read Only and if I try to change the permission in Vista- It goes through the motion and then when I double check properties again it is right back to Read Only.

I am very confused...

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

In the Parallels shared folders editing pane for your shared folder there is a mode listed. It that mode R/W?

3. jbuechel

jbuechel Junior Member

Where is the shared folders editing pane?

On the Parallels toolbar under Edit- Virtual Machine- Shared Folders- all of my shared folders are checkboxed as enabled and not Read Only.

I'm not sure where you want me to look.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

So the mode colume is "R/W" then? Now go to an OS X finder and check permissions of the folders you are having trouble with and ensure they are writable. If you are trying to overwrite existing files ensure they too are writable.

So far we're just looking for problems. The pane looks like this attachment, and the item of interest is the mode colume:

Attached Files:

5. jbuechel

jbuechel Junior Member

Yes the folders are marked R/W

In Finder under Ownership and Permissions:
    Owner- read & write
    Group- read only
    Others- read only

I think I tried changing the group and others setting to read and write as well but still couldn't save a file other than saving it with a new name.

By the way, if I save the file with a new name it saves and opens just fine but requires a new name when I save any changes again.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

7. steve

steve Member

Another shared folders bug

I think this is a related bug:

I think PSF shared folders still have problems that have not addressed with the release of the latest GA code 2.5.3188. I appears the simplest way to recreate the problem is to open an existing excel spreadsheet from a mapped PSF drive. Then, immediately save the file. Excel returns the message:

"The file '<filename>' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want
    Save a copy
    Overwrite changed

This problem has been around for quite some time. This problem does not occur when you use a samba share. I think Parallels has ignored this issued because of the samba "work around". That was ok a year ago but I would expect this problem to have been resolved by now.

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Thanks to all for your observations. Both issues seem to be bugs really. We will investigate and get back here with the results in a while.

9. steve

steve Member

Another shared folders bug

I recall posting this problem a wwwwaaaayyyyy long time ago back before build 1970. Interestingly, the problem still hasn't been resolved in 3188.

The problem relates to mapped drives using parallels shared folders. If I map a drive letter to a parallels shared folder (for instance, \\.PSF\winxp), the drive name comes up as "Network Drive (Z:)". It is then impossible to "rename" the drive to more than 12 characters. For that matter, you cannot change or add characters to the drive name unless it is less than 12 characters.

Furthermore, if I attempt to change the name of a FILE in a mapped drive folder, I cannot add or change characters to the filename. I can only delete characters.

When is Parallels going to fix these annoying shared folder problems? I like the product but sheez, these bugs have been reported a long time ago and are STILL around. My patience is wearing thin.

Thx.

10. steve

steve Member

That would be great. Thx.

11. sharkez

sharkez Member

More shared folder issues: In addition to the problesm others have noted, I find that when i use a file stored in a shared folder (that is also mapped to Z), programs in XP will occasionally not be able to access the file. I find this most often with Timeless Time & Expense, a time tracking aaplication.

12. jbuechel

jbuechel Junior Member

Just a little more on working with Corel

Since I started this post a few weeks ago I have figured my own work around to the corel file saving issue. I found out if I drag the Corel files I need onto the Vista desktop they will do an overwrite save just fine. I just need to drag them back to the folder where they belong when I am finished with them. Bit of a "pain" but lets me get my work done. Would love to know someday why it doesn't work directly from the shared folders...

Being a mac switcher I am thrilled that I can work from both sides of the fence with relative ease! I'll deal with the small hiccups...