3186, MacBook and no Coherence

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GeeZa, Mar 4, 2007.

1. GeeZa

GeeZa Bit poster

I've just upgraded my registered Parallels to 3186 and it seems a very comprehensive upgrade, but Coherence just refuses to work. If I either click on the Toolbar icon or go via the View menu item, Coherence doesn't start. I can only do either fullscreen or windowed. Currently I'm just using the MacBook's display, no dual monitors or anything.

I'm getting yellow question marks under Device Manager in XP for both a PCI Bridge Device and the Display Controller (VGA Compatible). I'm therefore wondering if something about my XP (SP2) installation is wrong or how I might get these drivers up and running properly. Any help much appreciated, it's a Core Duo MacBook running 10.4.8. Coherence is really a feature I'd like to have but so far it's not working for me.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

uninstall then reinstall parallels tools.

3. GeeZa

GeeZa Bit poster

That totally did the trick. Thank you!

4. cap_nemo

cap_nemo Bit poster

I'm having the same problem... do i have to unistall all of parallels? Where are the 'tools'? I'm a parallels noob. :)

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

in windows, you will have installed the "tools" or in other words, the parallels drivers... uninstall them from Add/remove programs, reboot and then reinstall from the Actions menu in Parallels

6. cap_nemo

cap_nemo Bit poster

Now i know why it wasn't working... i hadn't installed any of the tools on the VM... :) Thanks a ton for your help

7. CabinEssence

CabinEssence Bit poster

I have a localized version (German) of 3186 on my MacBook and coherence refuses to work. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Parallels Tools -- but to no avail. I don't even have a coherence.exe file on my computer. The other tools work fine. Any ideas?

8. dotpitch

dotpitch Bit poster

same here...i think we have to wait for an update....hmmm

9. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

this seems to be a bug with the german version. the .exe file is missing. I can post a version from the english version of tools, if someone wants to try it ?!! tho i cant claim it wont break anything (tho i cant see why it should)

10. CabinEssence

CabinEssence Bit poster

That'd be great if you could send me the coherence.exe. Thanks!

11. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

http://www.sendspace.com/file/awhrp0

This is the 3186 Coherence executable from the English version of the tools.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THIS IS THE SAME ONE THAT THE GERMAN VERSION SHOULD HAVE. YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I can assure you its AV scanned.

MD5 hash for this is :-

MD5 (cohrence.exe) = d2c0be92be0c92279cadfc5460473a2c

Someone please verify for the paranoid amongst us. :)

12. CabinEssence

CabinEssence Bit poster

I put the cohrence file in the Parallels Tools folder and tried to install it. Coherence is still deactivated. I also renamed it to coherence, but still not working. There was some discussion going on on the misspelling of cohrence (http://forums.parallels.com/thread6768-13.html). Could this be the problem?

13. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bhyh16

It seems you need some extra files that i didnt upload. Ive put the whole of my english tools dir on that link. it should be spelt Cohrence.exe as that conforms to the 8.3 naming convention. (tho i notice other files in the dir dont, so why they bothered with that i'll never know ;) )

Dont forget.. Coherence runs as a windows service... it needs to have been installed as a service and started for it to work.. simply copying the files wont start this service.

14. CabinEssence

CabinEssence Bit poster

Thanks, but the folder gives me no new files (I had them already except the cohrence one). I not only copied the file but also made an installation (using the Apple menu actions ... Install) -- as far as I understand the matter that should also install coherence under windows and make use of the cohrence.exe file. But maybe that's not enough or completely stupid. I have absolutely no experience with windows installation routines.

15. CabinEssence

CabinEssence Bit poster

Now it works! The file prlhook.dll was missing in the ''German versios''. I overlooked that one.

darkone: many thanks!

16. MikeMunich

MikeMunich Bit poster

German Coherence fix - how to

Darkone - you should have spend some more words on the how-to

Yes it is working but it took me 20 mins to figure out ... so now here
    more details on the solution for the german distribution bug

1) De-Install the parallel tools if already present
    SW Uninstall in Windows Settings

2) Install Parallel Tools from Mac VM Ware menu

3) Before rebooting install the 2 missing files cohrence.exe and the DLL into the directory manually

4) reboot and the new service is discovered in the Win XP machine automatically

Happy user now :D

17. drval

drval Pro

Good to hear.

How about posting this in the "How to" section?

18. benjetto

benjetto Bit poster

Does all this work with Parallels Desktop for Mac too?

How do I delete the parallels tools?