Build 3188 is available

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by javester, Mar 7, 2007.

1. javester

javester Junior Member

Thought to post it here since there's been no official announcement in the forums yet.

http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/

I applied it and found no material difference, which is all just the same, since Parallels has been rock solid for me the past few builds. There were no release notes too, so I dunno what they changed.

Speaking of release notes, Parallels should strongly consider doing a version history that points to issue numbers in a bug tracker like public-facing Bugzilla.

But the very fact that this forum is "hidden" (not available as a link from the company website), I'd be surprised if they do it.

I love the product but I just wish they revamp their support policies...

2. jdonshik

jdonshik Member

I agree-- there have been many versions without a clear explanation of what was fixed (or what Parallels thought they fixed).

A version history would be quite helpful

Any word on why USB audio has gotten quite garbled in 3170 and 3186? It worked previously in the other iterations?

3. rhind

rhind Member

I agree, it would be very useful to have a version history for the different builds. The Omni Group do this very well for their products for those who are interested.

4. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Agree as well about the version history

5. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

So for all of us who fervently updated to build 3186 last week what should we do with 3188? If I choose "Check for updates" in Parallels it's says I'm up to date.

Has anyone updated last week's 3186 to this week's 3188?

6. dmacd

dmacd Junior Member

bug fix?

Must be a bug fix. If you try to download Parallels demo from the main site, version 3188 is displayed.

7. sbutler

sbutler Bit poster

I just updated today, and everything seems fine. C2D iMac, NTFS Bootcamp partition. I never had any problems with the betas, but right now my Windows development is on hold. Mostly I just use it to do Novell stuff.

8. bendsu

bendsu Bit poster

in my experience 'Check for updates' and automatic checks for updates have only ever informed user of a more recent stable (not beta) build.

have to look at download page to get newer beta builds.

9. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Might be just a bug fix, but it did NOT require an in-place upgrade of Parallel Tools. Interesting, I've got build 3188 running, with build 3186 tools. Wonder what kind of fire I'm playing with doing this <grin>?

No immediately evident changes, sure makes the need for release notes compelling, now, doesn't it?

10. javester

javester Junior Member

That's strange... mine auto-detected that Parallels Tools was at 3186 and installed the 3188 Tools build.

11. rchaput

rchaput Junior Member

I updated to 3088 and encountered the following problem. When the installation automatically installed the updated Parallels Tools and re-started, the system booted but with a blank desktop. I resolved the issue by uninstalling Parallels Tools. That fixed the problem and the system seems to be functioning correctly.

Edit: The preceeding installation was to a 2.33 iMac Core 2 Duo. I did a similar installation to a 2.0 MacBook Core Duo without incident.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  12. jkneen

jkneen Member

No problems here, upgraded and 3188 tools installed fine. Maybe my imagination but CPU usage seems to be lower with this build

13. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

I had this exact same problem when I updated to 3186, which I understood as being an official release last week not a beta so I did the same thing. I'm hesitant now to apply 3188 as an update because I don't want the same thing to happen again. If I uninstall Parallels again I'll have to go through the hoop jumping I did last week with MS because my XP is out of reinstalls.

14. jkneen

jkneen Member

Follow up: Something is definately going on with 3188. before on 3186 my machine temp was usually 58-64 degrees. It's currently 51-58 with 3188 and averaging right now at 53!

Could be just my imagination!

15. greg1075

greg1075 Member

Is this an official bug fix or a new beta?

16. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

It's an official just check out the downloads area.

Anyway I downloaded and applied this update to last week's 3186 official release and it seems to have gone okay. This time it actually automatically updated Parallels Tools as well, whereas last week I had to do it manually.

I'll see how things go.

17. RobbieD

RobbieD Bit poster

Just put 3188 on, the Windows Update bug (using Bootcamp partition) is gone. Runs great. The only issue I have it the Language Bar turns (in the task bar) on after restarting Parallels (not a big deal but thought it was worth mentioning.) Usually if I turn it off, it will stay off after a (Windows) reboot. It did that in 3186, not in 3170 (that I remember- I've only been running this for about a week or two). Really amazing program. :D

18. fso

fso Member

Does this version prompt you to activate Windows again? I am running out of activations already.

19. maxxxfl

maxxxfl Junior Member

Coherence

Since installing Build 3188 I cannot use coherence. It crashes the VM. Even after uninstalling 3188 and reinstalling 3186 I still cannot use coherence. I'm using boot camp as the VM on a Core Duo iMac

20. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

My own install of 3188 over 3186 triggered a tools update at the first logon to XP. And everything looks fine.