Build 3186 and Black Screen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by clarusmoof, Feb 28, 2007.

1. http://www.dschmid.com

http://www.dschmid.com Bit poster

Dito

Same problem here. Weird enough though, I have another XP that did boot properly. The one that doesn't boot is some sort of minimal install.

Reinstalling the Parallels tools in Safe Mode had somewhat occured to me before I checked the forums but I dismissed it as in my understanding all I would do in Safe Mode would be reverted to default after a reboot. Guess I was wrong about that. Talking about my Windows experience.... This did, however, do the trick! Thanks, once again the Parallels forums prove invaluable.

2. viewpoint

viewpoint Bit poster

can't log in?

Ok I started-up in safe mode, (fn+f8 key) so no more black screen, but now I can't log in, windows isn't recognizing my login/password! any ideas??

3. b.c

b.c Junior Member

try your Windows Administrator userid and password

4. viewpoint

viewpoint Bit poster

I tried my user name/pasword and I am the administrator.

I'm getting tired of these builds of parallels that are just not ready for prime time.

5. Gilder53

Gilder53 Junior Member

I am using an imac...where is the "fn" key? F8 doese nothing for me.

6. Gilder53

Gilder53 Junior Member

Where is the fn key on an imac?

7. bdufresn

bdufresn Bit poster

No Joy

After attempting the Safe-Mode boot, my system still get's a black screen and doesn't boot to Safe Mode. - Any other suggestions?
    TIA

8. b.c

b.c Junior Member

9. you

you Bit poster

My Fix

Don't know if this would be helpful for people but my fix was to CTRL-ALT-DEL, enter the password, wait a few minutes for the computer to log in and then Install Parallels Tool from the menus. Then reboot and it worked. It's easier for this to work if you're on a domain or have to enter CTRL-ALT-DEL because the screen is black and you know where the cursor is, on the password area of the login box... hope that helps people.

10. hgray

hgray Bit poster

Same problem, same solution. Thanks darkone

11. GADesser

GADesser Bit poster

How do you go to Safe Mode. I've tried F8, fn + F8 - neither work. I'm on a Macbook Pro.
    I'm having the exact same problem described here. I notocied after the update, I installed Parrales Tools (without first Uninstalling the old Parrallels Tools). After the Virtual Machine started, New Hardware was detected. The video driver that was installed was the Parallels VGA video driver.

12. GADesser

GADesser Bit poster

Thanks for the help. fn + F8 did work to get to Safe Mode. I booted in Safe Mode, then went to Control Panel and removed Parallels Tools. I then rebooted, logged on and then installed Parallels Tools. Restarted, everything is OK.
    My main frustration was getting to the point of being able to chose to start in Safe Mode. I had to hold fn + F8 as I started the Virtual Machine. That worked.
    Again, Thanks.