Build 3188 crashing continuously

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hoppocket, Mar 9, 2007.

1. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

Build 3188 is really unstable. 3186 was also unstable -- I upgraded to 3188 in the hopes that it would solve the crashing problems.

Reliably, my crash reports generate this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parallels Desktop 2.5 for Mac OS X version 2.5 Build 3188.0 from 2007-03-07
    Received SIGBUS: Bus error
    Access to fault address: 0x1c0c000
    unknown signal sender: 2

I can't reliably use Parallels for more than 5-30 minutes. I have installed from scratch -- both Parallels as well as the guest OS (XP).

3186 is nice for Coherence, but not worth it. I would like to go back to build 1970 -- how can I do this?

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Are you using a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro? It seems there are a lot of problems reported related to the laptops. I am using 3186 and now 3188 on an iMac daily ever since 3186 was released, it crashed only once - when I tried to do video call in X-Lite.

3. jey2283

jey2283 Bit poster

i'm on mac book pro ..it doesn't crash but the parallels tools won't install. any ideas?

4. MacAddy

MacAddy Bit poster

more crashes

I bought the CD last week. Not sure what Buid is it (version 2.1) I upgraded my software and wasn't able to even see my win xp since than. Right after Windows launch screen goes black and I have to shut down VM - can't even close the running Windows. I'm on MacBook. Any one has any similar experience? First I updated to Build 3186 and the problem started when I updated the Tools also. Build 3188 didn't fixed it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it from scratch... I finally uninstalled the last one and installed the older version from CD. The new interface is nicer, but the old one works at least.:(

5. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

Running a MacBook Pro.

6. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I think if you are using a laptop, you better avoid build 3186/3188 at this time until the folks at Parallels have a chance to look at the problems. I would either go back to build 1970 (if you can find one) or use Boot Camp.

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

I have been using 3188 (and previously 1970 and 3186) with no problems on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.

David

8. drval

drval Pro

So have I. Perhaps when people report problems they could provide even more details, including whether or not they're using Boot Camp, what devices may be attached to the system, what Guest OS and what software is being used. I think these levels of detail might help clarify where the problem originates and possible, then, lead to a solution.

9. mecoolai

mecoolai Junior Member

No problems here

I have a Macbook Pro 2.16 ghz Core Duo and I never had any recent problems (I did have some before but were resolved in later builds.

10. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

I'm on a MBB Core Duo, 1g RAM 80g HD . I run XPPro SP2 with 412 for memory, which is what Parallels recommended. Both OSes run great. I get the occasional pop-up message that my VM system is low on memory and will increase it (set to Auto in prefs). I use the Office 2003/2007 apps and have 3-4 of them open and they do fine, plus run Safari and iCal on the Mac side. No problem. I use a firewire drive partition as a shared folder location and it works great. I even ran a VM from the Firewire drive.

I have downloaded and used every build since 1970, all betas and am on 3188 now. Only issues were an occansional parallels quit unexpectantly, but nothing else.

Whatever the issues it'a not the Mac and not Parallels. Else everyone would have same thing happen. Best to check for HD issues, permissions, install Parallels and restart your Mac. Make sure your Windows is a good copy. Remember it's far more buggy tha OSX. Is it updated from Microsoft.

C

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  11. occitan

occitan Bit poster

I have a Mac Book Pro Core Duo, and have been having quite a few problems with 3186.
    (My first ever kernel crash, the VM crashing and crashes on restoring a suspended VM (win 2k).
    I had no problems with and of the beta or RC releases.

I was hoping to solve it with 3188, but it seems I should hold off for the moment.

I'm a bit surprised by Parallels notification policy for updates. This forum only seems to mention beta releases - come on guys, how a bout a sticky at the top of the forum with the release notes of the latest official build.

Secondly the 'check for updates' function in the help menu doesn't sem to function. I had RC2 installed a few weeks ago, and following news reports about the final release, I ran check for updates, which told me no update was available. When i went to the main download page, the new version (3186) was indeed available, which I downloaded and installed manually. Today I ran check for updates, which again tells me I am up to date, even though the download page states 3188 is now available. What gives ?

12. Robyn Elmslie

Robyn Elmslie Junior Member

iMac

I can't get 3188 to work at all. No coherence or keyboard. Mouse sometimes appears but doesn't work.

I am using an iMac, Core 2, 1 GB, OS X 10.4.7 (8K1123) with Windows XP Home

13. David5000

David5000 Pro

Apparently no one at Parallels is monitoring that function, which apparently does not work.

David

14. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

Good idea.

* Not using Boot Camp
    * No devices attached to the system
    * When : whenever I am using the ultimatebet poker software

Note: poker is all I do with the VM, so the "When" might not be all that applicable.

Also, since switching back to 1970, have had zero problems in a timeframe in which I would have certainly seen the VM crash.

15. drval

drval Pro

Is anybody out there using Parallels to support "ultimatebet poker"?

Is anybody out there using Parallels to support "ultimatebet poker"?

Perhaps this will get you some assistance. Do let us all know what happens.

16. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

There are already other reports out there for other poker sites that are not working with anything else later than 1970. Since many of these poker sites use the same software codebase, it's extremely likely that there are other people out there with the same problem.

17. drval

drval Pro

Are you suggesting that the post NOT be done? Or are you simply being pessimistic?

I thought it best to ask to see if anyone out there has that software running correctly. That way, if someone IS using it successfully, they might be willing to say what was needed for that to happen; and, if not, then perhaps a comprehensive list of ALL or MOST of those "poker"programs that are having problems, and the specific problems that are occuring could be sent to beta@parallels.com.

It seems to me that, at this point, that's the most likely way to find a solution, if one exists.

18. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

Hey guy, I think you are misunderstanding me. I was simply stating that there are other people out there with similar, if not the same problems.

Anyways, here is the other thread with someone having similar (and hopefully, the same) problems:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=49555#post49555