How to delete Vista and Parellels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jangles, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Jangles

Jangles Bit poster

I want to delete vista and put XP in it's place on my Macbook. How can I do this? must I delete Parellels and Vista and install it all over with XP? if so how do I do this? I can delete parallels but I fear the vista files will be stuck on my Mac.

Thanks.

2. shubb

shubb Junior Member

Are you talking about deleting a Parallels image of Vista, or a bootcamp install of Vista?

If it is a Parallels image, then you dont even need to delete the Vista, you can create a new Parallels machine and install XP on it. If you want to delete the Vista altogether, you can just delete the machine from the File menu within Parallels.

3. Jangles

Jangles Bit poster

Well I installed vista under parallels, now I want to replace it with XP. How do I do this ensuring all vista files are deleted?

4. Jangles

Jangles Bit poster

any answers?

5. hippotech

hippotech Member

Just create a new Parallels virtual machine and install Windows XP - there is no need to delete Vista unless you really want to - as mentioned above.

I have Win 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP & Vista machines - don't ask I kind of collect operating systems :)

Hippo

6. Jangles

Jangles Bit poster

Well I just don't want any remnants of Vista on my Mac. Perhaps I don't fully understand how parallels works. In other words I really want to delete vista.

7. mmika

mmika Pro

Delete your *.hdd file with vista installed. After that you can delete *.pvs file. It is enough.
    This is works if you installed vista as separate VM, not bootcamp.
    All necessary file names you can find into VM configuration (or *.pvs file).

8. shubb

shubb Junior Member

When you install a guest OS in Parallels, it creates a virtual hard disk. That is the *.hdd file in your virtual machine directory. ALL the files that are on the Vista guest OS, are contained within that one file, similar to a zip file. Once you delete that hdd file, ALL the files that were contained in the Vista guest OS will be deleted. There is nothing else to delete except for the pvs file, as mentioned above.