System Memory Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by capngrouch, Mar 10, 2007.

1. capngrouch

capngrouch Bit poster

Can someone explain the following to me from Activity Monitor-System Memory Tab
    Wired
    Active
    Inactive
    Used

I recently install the lasted Parallels build with Vista. When this was first installed, I had 1.5gb of ram, when running this setup, 1.48gb of memory would get used causing mac applications to run jerky. I upgraded memory to 2.0gb thinking that would free up some ram, well no the parallels/vista setup uses 1.98gb of memory. Am I missing something or is this supposed to happen.

Also when I shut down parallels, the free memory does not go back to what it was prior to starting parallels.

My settings;
    I am using an external 120gb firewire portable disk drive just for Vista.
    Vista:
    Memory 524MB
    Hard Disk 100000MB
    Parallels:
    Manually 768MB

Any insight someone can share would be greatly appreciated.

2. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

Try lowering your Parallels VM memory setting to the recommended size(whatever it is) Less than 512. Mine is set at 412. Runs better than when I had it at 604.

My Activity monitor shows 2g of Virtual memory, 298-400 of Real memory for Parallels

3. abanks

abanks Hunter

You need to add the FREE RAM and the INACTIVE RAM together as this is your true amount of RAM available to your macine if OSX needs more it will take it from INACTIVE and use it.

WIRED and ACTIVE are in use by the system and i believe what you are reading is the FREE RAM as when i use parallels i have next to no FREE RAM available but i do have 450mb of INACTIVE so there is no problems there !!

Also how much RAM are you allowing Parallels to use? I know you have assigned 768mb to your VM but in Parallels Prefs what is the application memory?

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I will support this
    with Parallels small is beautiful

6gb virtual hard disk
    save all your data in networked folders on the mac side

Hugh W