[Build 3188] Installation of Windows XP fails

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MaCFoxtrot, Mar 11, 2007.

1. MaCFoxtrot

MaCFoxtrot Bit poster

Hello,

I have just bought Parallels Desktop for Mac but I cannot install Win XP Pro. I have tried several times but it always fails.

The first error I've encountered is the display of the error message (French version of Win XP Pro): Le programme d'installation n'a pas pu installer les catalogues produits...

If I restart, the install start again but blocks at 39 or 37 minutes of the end.

Could you tell me what could be this problem and what I should do.

Thanks and regards,

2. panca

panca Junior Member

The same here. Windows Setup goes up to ca 50% of 'Installing Devices', then breaks of setup, resumes setup, returns to the same point and then hangs.

I have tried all sorts of settings in the configuration of the virtual machine, various degrees of video-acceleration, having usb-devices autoconnect, or not .... no joy.

I am using WinXP Prof Servicepack 1 on MacBook Pro second generation. Going to try with build 3170 now. The download is soooo slow :-(

Panca

----

I had 3188 running on the same machine before as result of a chain of updates - but then my Windows image got broken for reasons I can't reconstruct cleanly any more (hopefully not a but in 3188).

3. panca

panca Junior Member

Trying 3170 - no joy, but:

I've since then successfully installed WinXP SP1 on MacbookPro 15' with build 3188 by doing it from scratch (rather than updating an existing install).

The install was not entirely smooth but it finally worked. At first install it completely crashed the system (hardware reset necessary), at first restart it went through to about 80% of the install (then hung), the second restart went through to the end. I am presently downloading installing SP2 and updating the system.

Might it be a memory issue? I can't try it anymore, but maybe giving the VM more RAM for the install might help?

Best
    panca

4. crabuback

crabuback Bit poster

Disconnecting all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse help me to finally be able to install.

5. MaCFoxtrot

MaCFoxtrot Bit poster

I contacted support and they asked to try using an ISO image of the Windows install CD instead. At first attempt it was not successful (error message + the installation stops) but then I rebooted the system and tried again and there it worked.

I still had the catalog error message but Windows setup rebooted and it completed successfully.