unable to install/update Parallels Tools with Beta 5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by daj, Apr 26, 2006.

1. daj

daj Member

Help - I'm tearing my hair out!

Upgraded to beta 5, and started the upgrade of VM Tools. During the update it asks for Windows XP SP2 CD; I put this is and mount it; the file is found and then it fails saying I have the wrong diskette in the drive. I notice that it has unmounted the VM tools software and mounted the XP CD using the same drive letter.

So I restart and change the drive letter of my CD to E: hope that VM Tools will mount on D: Start the upgrade again; same thing...the VM tools mounts on drive E: too

Help!

2. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

Similar problems with Win 2000

Attemppting to install tools and get asked for SP_4 disk and Win2k disk. Multiple crashes and no luck . . .:confused:

3. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

I had this problem. The issue is that the install parallel tools uses the D: drive. When you put in the XP disk when it asks, then parallels can't find what it expects in the D: drive anymore. What I did to work around this was to copy the i386 folder from the install CD to the desktop and then run the tools installation and when it asks where that i8042 file is, point it to the i386 folder instead of pointing the CD drive to that file.

4. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

I also did what the above poster did to get it to work. And it also needs more than that one file (i8042) so copying over the whole cd or that i386 dir works, at least for me. It took me forever to figure an easy way to do it. I had to install then uninstall the tools about 10 times. They shoudl support multiple virtual drives so this doesn't happen again.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It is possible to add up to 4 CD drives to VM configuration.

6. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

What I had to do was to add a second CD to the Parallels configuration. I set the first one to the ISO image and the second one to the physical CD and inserted the XP disk into the drive. This was after trying a few times and unable to get the PW to recognize the CD correctly.

An easy way for Parallels to fix this is to change the Parallels Tools ISO to be a big floppy image instead. That way it runs the Parallels Tools installer from Drive A and the CD is then free to install the Windows disk. Either that, or not require the Parallel Tools to require the use of a drive image at all.

7. daj

daj Member

i copied the i386 folder to the VM and then completed the installation. It worked perfectly after that. A bit of a fiddle, but at least it got me going

Beta 5 looks fantastic -- well done people

8. Steve Madsen

Steve Madsen Bit poster

Cannot Install Tools Directly

Since Beta 2 (my first version) I have been unable to install Parallel Tools as instructed. The Windows (XP SP2 in my case) Installshield Wizard starts but then says it has to quit and offers to report the problem to Microsoft. I also cannot browse to the ISO file and do it that way. In Beta 4, I tried making a CD from the ISO file and was then able to install the files from the CD. With Beta 5, installation/upgrade the normal way still does not work so I guess I'll have to make another CD from the ISO file (to get rid of those annoying "new device" messages). Apart from this recurring annoyance I have been very impressed with the program.

9. jchunter

jchunter Bit poster

Same problem with Parallels Tools and Win2000 SP2

I had the same problem. I've upgraded from each beta without any problems until beta 5. After booting back into Windows 2000, it kept asking for drivers from the Windows 2000 SP 4 CD, but my installer is only SP2. I ended up erasing and re-installing SP2 from the CD, then upgraded to SP4. Hopefully the full release will allow version upgrades without having to go through the whole erase-install-upgrade path for those of us without the most recent instaler CD.

10. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

I'm sorry I didn't know you could have multiple CDs drives. I didn't think to "add" one in the configuration. That would have mae my life a little easier espcially when I was trying to install my printer drivers.

11. Steve Madsen

Steve Madsen Bit poster

Can't Install Parallels Tools in Beta 5

Last night I tried the trick I had used with Beta 4--making a CD from the Tools ISO image--to install the Beta 5 tools but this time it did not work. I still get the message that setup.exe has encountered an error and has to quit. Same thing happens if I try to install directly from the ISO image or from the VM menu; the same occurs when I try to use Windows' removal tool to delete the Beta 4 version of Tools. I tried deleting the Paralles folder in my root Library folder (but not at the user level because I did not want to have to reinstall Windows and everything else). Has anybody else encountered similar problems? Any suggestions?