B5 and Full Screen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vamp07, Apr 26, 2006.

1. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I think B5 is the beta I was most looking forward to. Now I can use full screen with the full res of my MBP. I like the transition effect!!! The only thing left that I hope we get at some point is automatic switching of res when going in and out of full screen.

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Actually, this feature is already there. Go Parallels->Options->User Interface->Change OS X Resolution = disable
    Install latest version of Parallels tools and you will get it - guest resolution will automatically change in fullscreen.

3. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Very Cool!!!! Thanks.. I think this sholuld be the default behaviour once you are sure it will always work

The actual instructions on a mac are:

Go Parallels Workstation-Preferences->User Interface->Change OS X Resolution = disable

4. tomhalv

tomhalv Member

What is really nice is the seamless switching between desktops if you have Virtue running... WOW

It's nice to see the CTL-SHIFT-Right arrow work even inside the VM machine!

5. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

This feature is great. It works exactly as I was hoping it would. Great job Parallels Team!

6. schmidp

schmidp Member

if only the screen wouldn'f flicker shortly after the transition, it looks like the screen is set to the vm resolution and then again back to native resolution.

otherwise, great!!!

greets philipp

7. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

"Change resolution=disable" actually causes the resolution to change when going to and from full screen. So this switch seems backwards to me. Semantics of how you think about it I guess.

8. joshv

joshv Member

I love this feature! Great addition.

The only imporvement I could ask for is a hotkey to enter Fullscreen mode so we don't have to go up and use the menu.

9. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

There is such a hot-key ( ALT + ENTER by default ).
    See Parallels -> Preferences -> Keyboard for detailes.

10. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Command-F works for me (I think)..

11. mithras

mithras Junior Member

I must say, to my mind the fullscreen effect kind of misses the point. It's spiffy to have the cube effect, but all it really does is slow the switch between fullscreen and windowed modes. I was hoping for something more like what you get with Virtue, whereby you can seamlessly switch between fullscreen Windows and your Mac desktop.

With the current implementation, if I'm in Windows and want to check a Mac app quickly, this is the sequence:
    1. I hit alt-enter
    2. watch the screen flicker
    3. then cube transition
    4. see big window with Windows inside
    5. window resizes
    6. command-tab or Exposé to the Mac app I want.

then reverse the whole process.
    I'll be sticking with Virtue for now and turning off the Parallels effect. But I hope that a hotkey for "do a cube transition, then hide the guest OS -- without placing it in a container window" will come eventually....

p.s. in any case you've already won my heart and I've pre-ordered. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  12. Spanners

Spanners Bit poster

Ditto, I was about to write the exact same!

Guys, Can you look into this?

13. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Problem with resolution

Hello,

I just want to report that I am having problems with full screen running Windows XP SP2. After starting Windows I am running in 1280x800 16bit window on my Mac Book Pro 15". After disabling the "Change resolution=disable" when I go full screen I see windows still in the 1280x800 resolution with black border aroud it filling the remaining space instead of switching to native 1440x900 that I am running. turning the "Change resolution" on stratches the 1280x800 to full screen. Please advise what I am doing wrong or if this is a bug.

Robert

14. Hellrider

Hellrider Junior Member

This is exactly what I want...

Cheers
    Frank

15. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

The only problem would be that there'd have to be a system-global hotkey to switch *back* from Mac OS X to Parallels, since Parallels wouldn't be in the foreground and, as such, wouldn't (and couldn't) be listening for keystrokes. I'm not saying there's anything *stopping* them from necessarily doing such a thing, just noting that to be the case.

16. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Thank for your notes,
    we are constantly working to improve our product. We will make everything possible to make your work with our VM more comfortable.

17. mithras

mithras Junior Member

Well, as Oxonian notes in the separate thread, just command-tabbing or Dock-clicking to Parallels would also seem to suffice. Though there'd be an issue to think about if multiple guest OSs are operating -- something like "switch to next guest", "switch to previous guest", and with "switch to Mac desktop" as either one of the "nodes" in that chain, or a separate hotkey.

But you're right that the most seamless implementation would be with a global hotkey for "next OS", which would go from Mac -> guest 1 -> guest 2 -> Mac.

18. joshv

joshv Member

Yeah... found that just after I wrote my comments. Thanks!

19. nivenh

nivenh Member

Lets say my VM is in windowed mode @ 800x600, and i hit alt-enter. i see the window as the transition takes place, and when the transition is complete, i see the VM stretched to fit the screen, and a moment or two later the resolution change happens. It works of course (thanks so much!!), but the transition could be a bit better by doing the following...

- VM is in 800x600 windowed
    - Press Alt-Enter
    - VM is hidden, and while hidden changes resolution
    - Transition starts
    - Properly drawn VM comes up already in fullscreen

This avoids the resolution change in the VM being visible to the user.

My .02, that's just off the top of my head.