Auto update to build 3188 (today)...Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tracygoodman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. tracygoodman

tracygoodman Bit poster

I was running build 1970 of Parallels Desktop for Mac and ran the "Check for Updates" tool. It found and update (build 3188) and installed it. When I launched it, it immediately started the install OS wizard. I already have a Virtual Machine installed and am not a happy camper at this point.

Anybody on this forum seen this or have an idea how I can get the updated build to recognize my existing VM???

I've emailed their support group but based on past response times, I don't expect a response from them soon.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

just open file and browse to the location

or some king of import function (does the wiz<ard do that?)

I have just grown step by step with the betas

Hugh W

3. tracygoodman

tracygoodman Bit poster

If it were that easy I would have done it. :)

The problem is that it immediately starts the new OS wizard when I launch the product and there is no option to navigate to an existing vm from the wizard. If I cancel out of the wizard, it kicks me out of Parallels all together.

There is a menu option that allows you to point the tool to an existing VM but I cannot get to it because the wizard kicks me out.

I think I have two options.

1. Reinstall the os again to a different location and then point the application to my original.

2. Figure out where Parallels stores the information in regards to where it looks for existing VMs. If I could manually edit that file I imagine Parallels might detect my existing VM.

Thanks for the feedback

4. tracygoodman

tracygoodman Bit poster

Missing VM...

Anybody have an idea if there is a file in Parallels that I can update to point to my previous vm directory?

If you are wondering why I need to do this, reread my thread from the beginning.

5. hookedonitunes

hookedonitunes Junior Member

Just move your VM directory from /Library/Parallels to into your documents folder. That should work.

6. tracygoodman

tracygoodman Bit poster

Ah...should have thought of that...I'll give that a try. :)

Thanks.

7. tracygoodman

tracygoodman Bit poster

Just checked...my originally VM from before I upgraded is already in the documents location on my mac hd.

8. Al_Q

Al_Q Member

I have the same problem. Parallels can't seem to find and list my existing VMs when I start it.

There's an easy work-around. Just double click on any .pvs file and that will open it in Parallels. Unfortunately when you exit from the guest operating system, Parallels will quit. But at least you can make it all run OK.

When you first run an older VM in the new Parallels, it's safer to uninstall the old Parallels Tools before you install the new version. Updating in place works for most people but for a few (I'm one) updating tools caused a serious crash of Windows with registry corruption. I had to go back to a saved registry, and uninstall the old Tools before installing the new version.

9. tracygoodman

tracygoodman Bit poster

My solution was less elegant. I went ahead and reinstalled the os to a different location. Once this was done, the silly wizard didn't automatically come up every time I started the tool. I then opened my original VM from the "File->Open..." menu. Once I verified it was running okay, which it was, I deleted the one I just created and continued using my original VM.

Oh, of course I had to reinstall the Parallel's Tools.

Not elegant but it worked.

I would like to see the Parallels software give you the option of not installing a new OS when something like this happens. The new OS wizard should allow to point to an existing compatible VM if one exists on your MAC HD.