beta 5 install freeze

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by willwgm3, Apr 26, 2006.

1. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

I have had the same issue now when upgrading from beta 3 to beta 4 and from beta 4 to beta 5.

I shutdown my VMs (complete power off) and then quit out of parallels. I then launch the Parallels installer. The installer does not detect that it should be doing an upgrade. The installer then proceeds to perform an installation which completely hangs the machine.

I have to do a hard powerdown and restart. I then run the installer and everything works fine.

I have a 2.0Ghz MBP with 1GB Ram.

-Will

2. jonathan

jonathan Junior Member

I had the same thing happen to me. Pretty disconcerting having to hard power down the machine. I couldn't even do a ctrl-cmd-power to reset it was so locked.

3. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

My MBP hung, but it resumed after a few minutes

Similar results...

I have an external display connected to my MBP. The laptop screen was dark as I had switched to the external display only.

PW 2.1 Beta 5 hung for quite some time...the mouse anyway...I could use the keyboard. I was able to switch to another app using the kb, and then after a few minutes, PW continued its installation, and all was well. Didn't have to reboot.

4. Tommo_UK

Tommo_UK Junior Member

Same here.. everytime I upgrade the installer hangs my machine completely, just before it finishes. Upon doing a hard reboot everything works fine, including the new parallels installation, but I'm fed up with it crashing my Mac every time I upgrade.

I'm on an iMac 20" Core Duo with 2Gb ram and a 256MB video card.

5. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

I too tried this and it wouldn't work. I hate having to shut the machine down that way.

6. img47

img47 Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem (iMac, Beta 3 to Beta 4 and Beta 4 to Beta 5).

7. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I've seen this during both beta 4 and 5. Not a huge fan of shutting down OS X improperly, hope this is fixed by beta 6. :) A workaround may be to uninstall the previous beta first though I haven't tried it to see if it helps.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks. We already aware of this problem and woking on solution.

9. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Awesome. Great work as usual.

10. niccas

niccas Junior Member

ditto, hung on initial install. after forced power off and restart installed fine.. cheers all.. :)