Parallels, Virtual PC, iMac G5 and Macbook (Intel)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ngllgn, Mar 7, 2007.

1. ngllgn

ngllgn Bit poster

I'm completely new to Parallels and Macbook (Intel) but reasonably familiar with my G5 iMac (not Intel) and Virtual PC.

I would like to install Parallels and whatever other software is necessary to then install Windows XP on the Intel Macbook. I do not need Boot Camp as I don't wish to boot the Macbook in Windows.

Which version of Parallels should I download and install, and do I need any other bits and pieces?

Would it be better to install a clean version of Windows XP on the Macbook, or would I save time and hassle migrating the Windows XP as a Virtual PC disk image from the G5 iMac to the Macbook?

If it would be better to migrate the Virtual PC disk image, could someone please advise me on how to do that step-by step.

Thank you so much.

2. abanks

abanks Hunter

I personally would Buy the "Parallels Desktop For Mac", install a fresh copy of XP and install the Parallels tools so all your drivers work.

3. ngllgn

ngllgn Bit poster

Hello John

Thanks for your advice. I will take it. Nick

4. abanks

abanks Hunter

err who's John ?? :)

5. ngllgn

ngllgn Bit poster

John anon

Good question!. Sorry about that. My eye must have strayed to another e-mail I had on my screen at the time. Nick

6. sam

sam Bit poster

Transporting MS Virtual PC 7.0 to Parallels

I had MS Virtual PC 7.0 on a G5 PowerBook, with WinXPPro running on it. I burnt the .hdd image to a DVD (as it was bigger than would fit on a CD). (Oh yes, and made sure it was shut down and not suspended.) Then I put the DVD in my new MacBook, opened Parallels Transporter (build 3186) and used it to create a Parallels HD image. I then created a new Virtual Machine under windows, attached the new HD image to it, powered it up and installed Parallel Tools.

It all went smoothly. Most importantly, it meant I got to reuse the WinXPPro license I had on the MS Virtual PC (I deleted it from the G5 PowerBook once I had it on the MacBook) and didn't have to buy a new copy of Win.

Under Parallels on a new Mac, WinXP runs many times faster than under MS Virtual PC, so it's well worth moving it over.

Sam.

7. jayhawk

jayhawk Bit poster

i am in the same boat. i have Virtual PC on my G5 tower and don't want to have to install Virtual PC on my macbook, so i was hoping i could do something instead of that. i am going to follow your plan, but i want to make sure i know what you mean by .hdd -- is this something that already exists on my computer with Virtual PC installed or do i need to do it (e.g., i have toast)? i am searching everyone on Google and here for information on how to do what you describe in your response, but i am coming up largely empty. i even downloaded the parallels manual, but it doesn't touch upon Virtual PC on another machine. i'll keep searching, but either some clarification or a link would be helpful. TIA.