My adstech Instant Video to Go USB dongle doesn't like Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Constable_Odo1, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

Worse than that. It brings Parallels 3106 beta 3 to one of the nastiest lockups I've ever witnessed in a long while.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.33, OSX.4.8, 2GBs RAM and WinXP Corp Pro SP2.

http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-160/intro/RDX-160_intro.asp?pid=RDX-160

Story is, I purchased this device to cut some time of converting my DivX movies to mp4. Yes, it works like a champ on my BootCamp partition just compressing files like there's no tomorrow. That USB dongle is one super piece of hardware. It lives up to it's claims. Everything is quick and cool. As an example it compressed a 1.3 GB DivX file into a 500MB mp4 file in 20 frickin' minutes. Whoa boy. ;)

Now I figured i'll just load the device drivers and Convert app into Parallels and let it do it's thing. After all, Parallels is supposed to support USB 2.0 devices, right? (or this an isosync USB device?) The device drivers were neatly installed and the device is well recognized. The Convert app is installed, so I press the Convert button and that sucker locks up Parallels tighter than a bug's patoot. I can't even reset Parallels VM. I can't Force Quit it. The processors are stuck running at 50% and fans are whooshing. How do I need to stop this nonsense? I have to hold down the Power button and reboot. That's the only way to exit chaos. :mad:

So I patiently uninstall and reinstall the device drivers. So I try converting a file again and of course, Parallels has taken another trip into never, neverland. Enough already.

So I guess Parallels doesn't support all USB 2.0 devices. How was I supposed to know that? Oh well, at least I have my BootCamp.

Any chance of fixing this problem? In time, right. I'll be waiting patiently.:cool:

2. alf4ads

alf4ads Bit poster

Hello,

Im representing the manufacturer - ADS Tech. We make the Instant Video To-Go device.

The product is very new - it works great when natively booted to Windows today.

We are working on supporting various platforms in the near future.

Thanks.

Product Development Team
    ADS Tech

3. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Virtual machines are the future. Hopefully you and other vendors are working to comply carefully with API standards for interfaces such as USB.

5. alf4ads

alf4ads Bit poster

Frankly since the device is so new, our guess is that it is something in our driver.

These issues will be addressed over time. Hopefully in the near future.

Thanks.

ADS Tech Product Development Team

6. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

As I mentioned in my post that ADSTech Video To Go works perfectly when used in BootCamp, so I'm not faulting ADSTech at all. I just didn't know it wouldn't work in Parallels. I did not read the FAQ, so I can be blamed for that. But as you can see in the forum that many people are trying to run USB dongles and the failure rate is high. I posted the problem so that in the future the ADSTech Video To Go device might be supported when Parallels reaches retail version. So until then, I'll just continue using the Video To Go device in BootCamp.

Thanks for your reply.

7. CraigF

CraigF Junior Member

Has anyone tried this device in build 3186 or 3188? I'm very interested in it, but don't want to use bootcamp to use it. (I haven't bought one yet, so I can't try it myself.)