Replace expanding disk image with fixed size one

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jsolderitsch, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

I did some searching in the forum and did not see anything that directly addresses my desire.

I have an expanding drive image (working with build 3188) that seems to be slower than it used to be. I tried the Compression tool, followed by a compacting step, and this did not help matters much.

I have heard that fixed size images might give better performance.

I can create an empty image of the desired size, and mount it to my Parallels VM as a second drive.

Other than using Ghost, which I would rather not pay for, how can I clone the contents of my expanding image to the fixed size image? Simply copying files seems like the wrong way to go, but if this works for folks...

Anyone else done this? What is the best tool for the job?

My goal is to make a backup of my old expanding image, and then use the fixed size image as a replacement.

Thanks

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

You can convert your existing disk image to fixed size with Image Tool. But do not forget to backup your existing drive first.

3. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

Thanks for the idea -- I did not know that a simple conversion was possible.

I will back up before attempting.