Problem installing Fedora Core 6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by brycerocket, Feb 17, 2007.

1. brycerocket

brycerocket Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue installing Fedora Core 6 on a MacBook. I installed Fedora Core 6 fine on my own personal MacBook Pro, but am hitting numerous problems on the MacBook. Aside from other oddities that I've figured out(wouldn't install from DVD iso image file, fixed by downloading cd isos and burning them instead; missing disc during boot, fixed by pressing restart - ran into this issue with windows too), there are some serious problems that are preventing the install from continuing. For example, once it completely locked up on the keyboard selection pane, showing no disk or cd activity. Then, after selecting options (Productivity/Development/Server), it would complain it could not unmount the cd and to check to see if something was accessing /mnt/source from shell on tty2.

Also, when I ran yum update on my MacBook Pro's copy of Fedora, it complained while updating the kernel about accessing /hdb. The odd thing is I only set up /hda.

If anyone can help with these issues that would be greatly appreciated (note that I want to install Fedora Core myself rather than use a distributed image) Thanks!

-Brycerocket

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I don't have a MacBook so I can't really help you here but I have installed multiple FC6 on an iMac under Parallels without experiencing the problems you described. One thing you can try is to download the latest FC6 respin created by fedoraunity (http://fedoraunity.org/), burn a DVD using OS/X Disk Utiltiy, and try installing it again. Fedoraunity respin is a project which recreates Fedora distribution with updated patches. The latest one was dated 01/11/2007. You might have a better luck with this one.

3. claud9999

claud9999 Bit poster

Unable to install FC5, FC6, Ubuntu on my MacBook

I too am unable to get ANY Linux distro to install on my MacBook. I've tried DVD images, I've tried live CD's, I've tried Ubuntu, FC5, FC6. All get at least partway into the installation process then have some random weird problem. I've been unable to narrow it down but given that others have less significant problems (cpu utilization, etc) I suspect this must be a platform-specific issue.

WinXP from Bootcamp and Win2k both work just fine for me.

My MacBook:

Machine Name: MacBook
    Machine Model: MacBook1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
    SMC Version: 1.4f12
    Serial Number: 4H6269D0U9B
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

4. claud9999

claud9999 Bit poster

Well, I spoke too soon, FC6 on 3188 works for me now

I updated to 3188 yesterday and I was able to install FC6 from a DVD iso (located on my server over the network) without a problem. Hurray!

I may try upping the RAM allocated to this VM, as I would like to run Oracle 9 on this VM and I believe it needs 1GB RAM. I seem to remember some discussion about problems (in Linux on Parallels) allocating that much RAM. I'll report in, one way or another.

5. claud9999

claud9999 Bit poster

something's still broken with FC6 + 1GB RAM

Everything seems to be working well enough but if I bump up the RAM allocation for my FC6 instance to 1GB RAM (I have 2GB real RAM) I get an early kernel panic upon boot. I can post the panic if anyone cares. Hopefully Oracle will install fine with lots of swap. That I can run my Bootcamp XP partition, Parallels is definitely worth the $. Linux is a bonus, but I'd be even happier with good Linux support...

6. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I only allocated 380M and it works fine (no Oracle installed). Have you done a memory check? Sometimes a faulty memory can cause random crash.

7. palter

palter Hunter

Try adding "agp=off" to the kernel boot parameters.