Can't install Bonjour in XP Home transported from VPC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by beattyMBP, Mar 13, 2007.

1. beattyMBP

beattyMBP Member

When trying to install Bonjour in XP Home, I get to almost the very end, it even installs the printer assist icon on the desktop, then stops at the "installer finished" screen but says beneath that that the installer was interrupted before it could finish, and the install was canceled, and that my machine was not changed, I should try installing again.

Tried re-downloading Bonjour, and then tried to install again, same result.

Also this is a XP Home installation I migrated using transporter from VPC.

2. beattyMBP

beattyMBP Member

Bump

Someone on an apple forum suggested that some COM permissions in XP might not be right. I tried to change them, but get some errors in XP too. Of course, since this XP came from a VPC image (preinstalled in the image by Microsoft) I don;t know how to do a repair anyway.......

Still works well for the most part. Networking is OK, other apps have installed fine in XP, and it seems to run stable......just can't print. As a work around, I'm using a pdf printer, dragging those to the MAc desktop, and then printing with Acrobat Reader or Preview.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Try uninstalling all the network cards from XP (remove hardware drivers manually in computer management).

It could be an issue with some driver cruft being left behind by VPC.

4. beattyMBP

beattyMBP Member

Nah, this didn't work. I'd like to try repairing my WinXP install, but that seems impossible, since I hae no install CD, just the hard drive image on my old VPC 6 disk.

My best bet might be to go back to the very original VPC XP hard drive image sent to me by VPC, and then convert with transporter, then update to SP2. Microsoft gave me a new activation key (from their dial in support) but I wonder if it will work if I try to go through this process again. I just want one copy to run!