VT-X disabled by firmware update?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by elektroholunder, Apr 6, 2006.

1. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Then correct me if I am wrong BUT the Core Solo does not support VT-X, according to the featurs list on the Intel web page, therefore its not a FIRWARE issue preventing VT-X from being enabled (Core Solo) its the Processor it's self...

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/proc_info_table.pdf

Page 3 ... it states that the Core Solo DOES NOT support VT-X...

So I dont really understand how you or the others can expect it to work in the First place, I have read here that PVM then uses a software emulation to "Share" the single core...

So me thinks if on Core Solo's that PVM is reporting that VT-X is enabled sometimes that its self is the "BUG" and not the maschine..

and that the TRICKS people are using are infact just causing this BUG to surface

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please check VT detection utility posted in this thread by Dave Shroeder (http://forum.parallels.com/thread85-3.html). It includes sources and it is very simple:

1. It checks VT-x feature in CPUID.
    2. It checks is it unlocked in IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR.

So far we can see that 1) reports that VT-x existed on all known Mac Minis (including Core Solo). At the same time 2) is random - on some Mac boxes it is locked on some unlocked. And it could be changed using some tricks (like sleep trick posted here).

It looks like boot code on Mini could lock VT-x in some random situations.

3. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Andrew,

Hiow can it exist if INTEL states that it does not on the CORE-SOLO ?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

NoBackUp,

We will investigate this issue and keep your informed.

5. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Intel's web site is a little confusing on this. Awhile back, I dug around on Intel's web site and found a spec sheet for both Core Duo and Core Solo and it mentions Intel Virtualization without distinguishing between the two. However now I can't figure out where I found it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  6. fibtastic

fibtastic Bit poster

root@mactv:~/Desktop/vtx-check#kextload MacOS/vtxcheck.kext
    kextload: extension /Users/billm/Desktop/vtx-check/MacOS/vtxcheck.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

everything is root:wheel 755 on a core duo mac mini. What am I doing wrong?

7. dr_lha

dr_lha Junior Member

NoBackup and presumably Intel are wrong about the Core Solo not supporting VT-x.

"VT-x is supported (reported by CPUID) and can be used".

On a Mac mini Core Solo 1.5Ghz with MM11.0055.B02 firmware and G8610XXXXXX serial number.

8. Djoh

Djoh Member

Dr_lha:
    Right, that's exactly why I asked in the first place, it sounded like both Solos and Duos support the function and Intel disabling it seems to mean locking it through the firmware (although it looks like it didn't get locked in All the releases), which has been proven to be easily circumvented. [also, note that the "Intel Core Solo" in that data sheet posted above runs at 1.66GHz, not the same u-proc. as in the miniMac w/Core Solo]
    However, the fact that it takes a trick to get it working correctly on half of the miniMacs is enough, I'm sure, to achieve the intended goal of getting people who want full Windows support to buy a higher-end mac. On the other hand, Apple says nothing about the miniMacs not fully supporting Windows via the Intel u-proc, so it may be more likely that it is a mistake (or that they locked a bunch and then changed their minds...)

Either way, I'm buying myself the cheapest Dual-OS option available on the market today: The Mac Mini Core Solo w/ Parallel's Workstation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  9. stompbox

stompbox Junior Member

I have a Core Solo and believe me, it does support VT. In fact, right from the beginning, this software informed me it was supported but locked by firmware. After running the "hack" it was enabled and there is a vast difference between the software-only mode (before) and the hardware mode (after running hack).

It's a very, very cool machine now. Remember, you can also pop out the CPU and put in a dual core after the price drop in May.

10. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

You are a Joke.. Intel is wrong its thier CPU..falls off chair... what a dum a...

Its thier docs that say no !!!...

11. Djoh

Djoh Member

I just bought a MiniMac Solo, specifically for running Parallel's Workstation & Windows XP.

It works great, supports VT-X, all is well! I updated all software & firmware (v. 1.0.1 Mac Mini Firmware Updater) before installing anything at all. So I actually didn't need any hacks or tricks (just lucky?).

I posted a screenshot of it somewhere on this forum, click my username and check my other posts if you're interested.

Relax, Mr. Backup, it's just a computer...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  12. keirnna

keirnna Member

VT-x is supported (reported by CPUID) and can be used

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac mini
    Machine Model: Macmini1,1
    CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
    Number Of Cores: 2
    CPU Speed: 1.66 GHz
    L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B02
    Serial Number: YM608LJ6U36
    SMC Version: 1.3f2

13. mettmann

mettmann Bit poster

Hello -

do we have any status from apple on this issue?

by the way - thanks Dave for the code - I'm a complete noob to compiling, Developer Tools is already loaded on my duo core mini - I just need to know how to "make" the checker run within Xcode.. (yep, step by step)

any help would be appreciated!

14. keirnna

keirnna Member

These are step by step already, but let me try to clairify...

Download the file
    double click the file to unzip it with stuff it (have the file on your desktop)
    now open the terminal via: Applications>Utilities>Terminal
    Type exactly like this:
    cd Desktop/vtx-check/
    make
    sudo kextload MacOS/vtxcheck.kext
    sudo dmesg

15. mettmann

mettmann Bit poster

Thanks!

I presumed that I needed to click on the unzipped vtx content (which then opened up the Xcode app..)

worked great - here's my info..
    (already updated firmware to 1.01)

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac mini
    Machine Model: Macmini1,1
    CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
    Number Of Cores: 2
    CPU Speed: 1.66 GHz
    L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B03
    Serial Number: YM6141KNU39
    SMC Version: 1.3f2
    VT-x is supported (reported by CPUID) and can be used

16. iocomposer

iocomposer Member

Out of curiosity, what is the affect of PW running without VT-x enabled? Is it a significant speed dump?

17. James Wu

James Wu Bit poster

Yes. I'd say 75-80% slower.

James

18. thebryceman

thebryceman Bit poster

Today I changed the network connection on my Mini Core Duo from Airport to Ethernet and noticed that VT-X became enabled again!!!

The Mac Mini was plugged into Ethernet a few days ago and VT-X was working. It seems VT-X became disabled (pop up error on Parallels startup) yesterday when I turned on and changed to an Airport connection (unplugging the ethernet cable too). This happened both before and after the latest Apple Firmware update.

I will try again tomorrow and report... I have not done any other hacks or changes. Can others confirm this?

19. keirnna

keirnna Member

My VT-X works and I connect via Airport Extreme...

20. James Wu

James Wu Bit poster

Doh!

I meant to say the speed at which it runs without hardware support is about 75-80% of what what the speed would be with hardware support, which would make it 20-25% slower...

James