Shared folders and the BSOD

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by WaveyDavey, Mar 13, 2007.

1. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Bit poster

Each and every time I try to save my work in a shared folder, I get the Blue Screen Of Death. The Win XP VM inevitably crashes, does a disk check, then boots up. I've tried deleting all my nominated shared folders, making new ones, changing locations - all to no avail. I've scoured this forum but can't find any workrounds.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

Incidentally, I've just upgraded to the latest build - problem still occurs.

TIA,
    Dave

2. abanks

abanks Hunter

Which application are you using to save your work?

Also do the folders you are saving to have very long names as the path may be being truncated by windows !!

3. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Bit poster

Abanks - sorry for the laggy response, been away on business.

Thanks for the reply. But I haven't actually managed to get as far as opening a shared folder yet, so filenames are not a concern. Once I open the Shared Folder icon on the XP desktop, the VM crashes right out.

I'm not using any app to save to that path, just dragging & dropping from the desktop.

Judging by the lack of anyone else chiming, this looks like a problem with my installation only, rather than a general bug. I'd still welcome any theories, workarounds, hints, etc!

Cheers,
    Dave

4. MrJoe

MrJoe Bit poster

Dave - I have observed similar issues with Shared Folders in Parallels, so hopefully this helps you in your situation.

What I have noticed is the the issues seem to behave differently depending if I use a mapped drive to the share location VS the UNC path.

For instance, I have mapped one of my shared folders to the z: drive under XP.
    z: = \\.PSF\Data

If I try to run a .net executable from location z:\Data\Projects\TestProject\test.exe I will get an error "test has encountered a problem and needs to close..." with the standard MS Debug/Send Error Report dialog.

However, if I use the UNC path: \\.PSF\Data\Projects\TestProject\test.exe - the application runs fine.

Conversely, I've had other problems with Outlook datafiles being placed using the UNC path, when the z: drive mapping worked better. I've since removed the Outlook datafiles because I ran into data corruption issues...

Just my observations to date.

Cheers,

Joe

5. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Bit poster

MrJoe - interesting.... will have a play later tonight.

But don't forget that I'm not saving out of applications to a mapped shared folder, but simply dropping and dragging (photos, actually) onto a folder that my Mac will pick up, for later archiving. Still, top tip. May be a decent workaround... thanks!

6. RSK

RSK Bit poster

Shared microsoft files

I am continously encountering issues when i go to save microsoft files in my shared folders. I don't have any problems loading files but when i try to save the BSoD appears with a memory dump.

The file names are quite long and contain spaces (total 25 characters and spacing) is this the issue?

Example
    \\.PSF\My Documents\Accounting\Financial Statements\Mar 07\XXX Fin Stat Mar 07-Aud V1.doc

Can anyone shed any light on this annoying problem?