3188 Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by maynard, Mar 14, 2007.

1. maynard

maynard Member

Build 3188 Blows up Macbook Pro

I have Build 3188 installed and anytime I plug my Pocket PC PPC 6700 Cell Verizon or Sprint it blows up my Mac requiring a Disk Utility repair...

PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE !!!!

MG

2. jsteinhu

jsteinhu Bit poster

How does disk repair fix a blown up computer? Seriously, if you have a problem, you need to provide sufficient detail that someone else can understand what your problem is.

3. maynard

maynard Member

When you connect the PPC and then select from the USB list 'PocketPC USB Sync' you get the colorful spinning 'wait icon' and then nothing....

Even the Mac OS is locked up.

So the only thing you can do is Restart - hold the power button, etc..

When it restarts, it tells you to restart, over and over...

So some file is corrupted and First Aid via Disk Utility does a check and then allows you to boot again after it fixes the swap/temp file.

This issue has gotten worse over the versions of the Beta. It used to initially connect and work with Activesync. It failed if you disconnected and reconnected without restarting the session...

Now if a user does this, they will crash their setup.

Clearly something wrong with the sensing of the Pocket PC device and USB with no way to cancel or kill this process and a restart causes more headaches requiring a Disk Repair...

Does that help ?

MG

4. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

USB disk problems ( 3188 )

When I started Parallels today after upgrading OS X to 10.4.9 it told me there was an update . I downloaded this , installed it , installed the tools and finally restarted the Virtual PC ( running Windows XP ) . I should point out that when the machine was first started , it kept telling me that it could not connect to 'an unknown network adaptor' , I deleted the network adaptor from the virtual machine and then re-attached it and after this the message went away , and once the machine started the networking worked correctly .

I then tried to attach a USB flash disk . When I first plugged it in , it appeared on the Mac Desktop , I ejected it and then tried to attach it to the Parallels PC ( by clicking the USB icon , and then clicking PNY Attache disk ) there then followed what I can only describe as 'USB Ping-Pong' , the ding-dong sound in Windows would sound , a message saying that the USB device could not be connected as it was in use would appear , with another similar message underneath the first one . Dismissing the first message would cause the Windows USB disconnect ding-dong to sound and the USB disk icon would re-appear on the Mac desktop , clicking on the second message box would cause the whole thing to start again , and the only way I could break the cycle was to unplug the USB disk . I tried not ejecting it from the Mac desktop before attempting to connect it to the Parallels pc , but that caused the same effect . I tried shutting the machine down and selecting AutoConnect but that didn't have any effect , I then tried turning off AutoConnect , no effect . I tried deleting the USB controller and then reinstalling it ( as with the Networking above ) but that had no effect either .

Thinking I was clever , I plugged in a different disk ( which is a genuine USB2 device ) started the whole thing off again . So deciding I was VERY clever , I plugged the USB2 disk into my Mac keyboard ( which makes USB devices run at USB1 speeds ) this made everything stop working , my bluetooth mouse , the keyboard , the lot . I eventually got my wired mouse to work for long enough to shut Parallels down .

I was reasonably sure that things worked correctly in 3186 , so I downgraded to this build and all seems to work as it did , and indeed should .

I see no other complaints so it could just be me ? Perhaps nobody else has tried their USB disks yet ...

For the record , OS X 10.4.9 , Mac Mini , Intel Duo Core 1.66 , 512Mb RAM .

5. santaliqueur

santaliqueur Bit poster

incredibly poor performance of XP SP2 on 3188

Hey all. I'm using 3188 as a trial, and I'd have already bought it if it didn't run so painfully slow. it takes about 5-10 seconds for mouse clicks to register on the VM, but they eventually do register. i tried adjusting memory settings, but nothing helped much. playing an MP3 with winamp barely works, the audio stutters very much, and winamp uses 50% of the cpu. i'm not doing anything cpu intensive on the host OS, either. usually, parallels is the only application open.

not that this is my problem, but is there a way to get the VM to see both cores of the processor? I didn't see any options for that.

i'm not expecting the fastest speeds around, but something is wrong here. i'd love to purchase a key for this product, but i won't do that if i can't get this solved. thanks for any help.

intel mac mini 1.83 GHz
    1 GB ram
    mac os 10.4.9

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

I have to say that 3188 feels a lot more sluggish for me as well.

I have used virtually every release of Parallels for about 6 months and this is the first to feel really slow.

Robin

7. drval

drval Pro

There is no way to get the second core to be seen AFAIK.

I'm not seeing sluggish performance. MBP C2D 2GB RAM.

8. vioccc

vioccc Member

I'm using 3188 with XP SP2 on my MacBook C2D with 2GB RAM and everything is fine for me. Was doing some Pocket PC dev with Visual Studio .NET 2005 and playing streaming window media video via Windows Media Player 11 yesterday without any problems so i don't quite know why it's so bad with you. I haven't noticed any particular sluggishness with this build compared to the previous ones either. Maybe it's the 1GB of RAM on your machine that causes most of your problems.

9. na9d

na9d Hunter

I'm runinng on a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro and while not as zippy as on my 2.66 GHz MacPro, it still runs fine. It's what I use exclusively at work now (my Windoze desktop just runs BOINC all day long). I find a couple of things:

1.) Allocate enough memory. I think I have 384 Meg allocated for XP to run in. That's barely enough but it works. More memory is always more better.
    2.) Don't run coherence. It seems that coherence takes more resources and more memory. It's a great feature. On the laptop, I maybe run it only 50% of the time though. OS window mode is MUCH faster.
    3.) Keep other open apps to a minimum - especially Safari. I am noticing more and more that Safari is a huge system and resource hog - especially w/a lot of windows open. If you are seeing slowness, close it and other apps. And then see.

10. Synchro

Synchro Junior Member

Safari is only a resource hog after it's been running for a while - there are memory leaks that gradually take their toll until it really grinds along. There's an easy solution: quit and relaunch it. So that you don't lose all your open windows and tabs, install SafariStand from Hetima.com and it will automatically remember them all and reopen them on the relaunch.

Alternatively, run the nightlies which are much better in this area.

11. jsteinhu

jsteinhu Bit poster

That is a perfect amount of detail, unfourtantly it rules out some things I was going to suggest. I have seen other people having no troubles with it. To rule out some things I would suggest the following to clean out any issues that may have arisen from using betas along the way:

1] Making a backup of your current vm
    2] Uninstalling parallels
    3] Reboot
    4] Reinstall parallels
    5] Reboot
    6] Install a fresh copy of windows in a vm (you have kept the old Vm so this is just for testing)
    7] Install only those files you need for syncing your phone on this test copy of windows
    8] Try syncing.

If that does't work, then yes you have a serious bug. If it DOES work, then something got corrupted in your parallels/windows install over time.

12. santaliqueur

santaliqueur Bit poster

robster, this is more than sluggish, the VM is completely unusable. when it takes 10+ seconds to show the start menu, that is more than sluggish.

na9d, i've allocated 512MB ram to the VM, with no improvements. i've used coherence, but it doesnt make it any worse, at least I don't notice it. i have no open apps other than parallels, and i've tried using it on a fresh reboot. my problem cannot be solved with performance tweaks.

it's a shot in the dark, but could my bluetooth keyboard and mouse be an issue? it's the only thing i could think of. with vmware, i ran this same VM (before parallels converted it of course) on a pentium M laptop with 1 GB memory, 512 to the VM, and it ran close to native speed. in case it's a strange software conflict with my hardware, are there any other versions of parallels i could try?

13. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Can anybody confirm that they do or do not have this problem with 3188 / 10.4.9 for me please ?

14. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I use MS USB keyboards and mouse
    blue tooth is definitely slower than wires

I use blue tooth daily for downloading jpgs from my mobile K800i phone
    and it works well but is 100 times slower than using a USB memory card reader with my handicam memory card

Hugh W

15. santaliqueur

santaliqueur Bit poster

i'll try it with a usb mouse, dont think i have a usb keyboard to try. i'd be shocked to see it have much effect though. i really want to buy this software :(

16. maynard

maynard Member

OK...

1. Installed new Win XP
    2. Updated with all patches
    3. Installed Office 2003
    4. Update with all patches
    5. Configured Outlook to same config and data files
    6. Installed ActiveSync 4.5
    7. Connected PPC 6700 - Hardware found and configured just fine 1st time
    8. Unpluggd Cell
    9. Bluetooth configured with work laptop - all fine
    10. Plugged back into XP VM
    11. Found device and Sync automatically worked
    12. Disconnected
    13. Sync with BT work laptop again - fine
    14. Plugged into MacBook for 3rd time and all fine.

Now I will reboot and see if it stays this way...

Hmmm

MG

17. freakthemighty

freakthemighty Bit poster

i have the same problem with a dictate utility via usb 2.0 in 10.4.9 and parallels build 3188.

18. freakthemighty

freakthemighty Bit poster

i solved my problem. i just deactivated the button (in german: usb geräte automatisch mit einbinden) connect usb devices automaticly. that easy. now i start parallels and run win xp
    and then i connect my philips usb device manually through the button at the buttom of the parallels window (usb). with this way parallels can get controll of my usb device.

happy!

19. VTMac

VTMac Pro

You never say how much Ram you have installed. That is a big part of the equation. Also, it's entirely possible that your parallels tools install got messed up. I'd try uninstalling parallels tools, rebooting the vm, and reinstalling parallels tools.

Finally, another user encourage you to allocated more memory to the VM, saying the more memory the better. That is categorically incorrect information. There are numerous threads on this forum with lots of independent datapoint that would indicate memory is a function of your specific application and generally LESS Ram is better. More ram allocated to your VM starves OSX of RAM. And the VM is dependent on OSX for services. On a 2 Gig machine you can get away with higher settings, but it generally won't improve performnce. On a 1 Gig machine, doing a 512 setting is basically death. Start with something like 384/512M (depending on your phsyical ram) and lower that number slowly until you find the minimum allocated RAM that works well for your environment.

20. maynard

maynard Member

It seems the complete re-installation of windows into Version 3188 has resolved the issue. I have rebooted, unplugged, reconnected and it all seems to work now as expected...

Typical Windows issue...

FDISK, Format, Re-Install.

Thanks,

MG