a2.6d.354a.static.theplanet.com

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by TroyMurray, Mar 15, 2007.

1. TroyMurray

TroyMurray Junior Member

Anyone tell me why Parallels is trying to connect to a2.6d.354a.static.theplanet.com when I opened it. I would guess it's going out to check for a newer release, but why wouldn't it point to parallels.com then?

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

3. drscience

drscience Member

I would like the answer to this question as well. Is Parallels phoning home every time it loads? Does it have embedded spyware? I'm going to have to start running a port sniffer on the Mac side to see what is going on.

4. TroyMurray

TroyMurray Junior Member

5. TroyMurray

TroyMurray Junior Member

Yes, and I'm using the same version of the file I just downloaded.

6. drscience

drscience Member

Thank you for the link. I found a port sniffer for OSX, but it requires compiling using libraries I don't have loaded. So this is most valuable.

I think it is encumbent upon Parallels to provide a coherent explanation of this behavior. Otherwise, it will be reported as a security breach to various Mac security websites and to Apple itself.

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It's been described in this forum a few times. Earlier versions were polling ftp1.parallelz.com which is a truly suspect looking domain but which is owned by Parallels. Do a search on parallelz and you'll find all the threads. I did a tcpdump of the connection and found it was asking only for updater.ini, and I also posted an example of the most recent updater.ini. You can use your browser to follow that request.

ThePlanet.com is a for-hire capacity on demand server network that allows for surges and big spikes in requests/traffic volume.