Official VAG-COM Thread

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by powell, Dec 18, 2006.

1. powell

powell Junior Member

I know there are a number of us who plan to primarily use Parallels as a means to run VAG-COM, ETKA, maybe the Bentley manuals, etc.

So, this thread is an attempt for us to determine how to get VAG-COM working in Parallels. Firstly, I think those of us who have tried should document our successes/failures, so I will kick it off.

HARDWARE:
    MacBook Pro (Core Duo) with Keyspan USA-19QW USB-Serial Adapter.
    HEX-COM Dual-K Serial Interface

SOFTWARE:
    Parallels Build 3036 with Windows XP
    VAG-COM version 607

CARS:
    1996 Audi A4
    1997 Audi S6 (just sadly deceased due to truck turning in front me)

RESULTS:
    VAG-COM sees the HEX-COM and connects to the Engine Module without any problems. All Engine Module functions seem to work fine. The big problem is when I connect to the Instrument Control Module, the interface hangs, and I have to kill VAG-COM. After this, the interface is disconnected (looking at the Keyspan Serial Assistant). I can disconnect the USB adapter, re-connect, then relaunch VAG-COM; however, anytime I attempt to connect to the Instrument Control Module, it dies.

This behavior occurred in both cars.

BOOTCAMP:
    Rebooting into boot camp, all VAG-COM functions work without fail or hassle.

2. steve775c

steve775c Bit poster

OBD-2 Diagnostics

Hi there,

I use a OBD-DIAG 4000 Interface with Parallels Desktop on my MacBook and it works perfectly.
    The Interface has an integrated USB-to-Serial-interface. You connect it to the OBD-II-Plug
    in your car and to your MacBook via a usb-cable.

The OBD-DIAG 4000 supports 11 protocols (including CAN).

For more information look at: http://www.obd-diag.com/

Good Luck...

Steve

3. Muetze

Muetze Bit poster

I also have a Rosstech HEX-COM+CAN Serial Interface. Which USB to serial Adapter works with parallels?
    Can anybody confirm that the HEX-COM+CAN USB Interface workes without any problems?

Thanks

Muetze

4. powell

powell Junior Member

I have a Keyspan USA-19QW that sort of works with Parallels and the serial KEY-COM adapter. It works flawlessly in Boot Camp; however, in Parallels, I can connect to any control unit (say Engine) and it works fine. When I then try to switch to another control unit (say Instruments) it crashes. The only thing I can do is reboot my WinXP session.

The strange thing is that I can connect to a control unit, then disconnect, quit VAG-COM, relaunch VAG-COM and try to connect back to the same (or different) control unit and it hangs.

It seems that for some reason the connection is not properly dropped.

I am going to try borrow another serial/usb adapter to see how well it works.

5. esz

esz Junior Member

Any improvement with the Vag-Com with the latest Betas? Anyone been testing?

cheers!

6. esz

esz Junior Member

Build 3188 and Vag Com

I just finished testing my Hex+Can serial through a Dynex USB to serial adapter with Parallels build 3188, and I still have the same problems others have mentioned in this thread: I can connect to the interface initially, but switching between the vehicle modules crashes the connection. Boot camp still works flawlessly with the exact same setup.

I was really hoping to nuke Bootcamp with build 3188 as the VagCom is the only thing I'm using bootcamp for. It would be great to reclaim the disk space...

7. powell

powell Junior Member

Thanks for the update, esz. With Build 3186, I still have the same behavior as you describe, but using a Keyspan USB-serial adapter.

I too, would love to dump my bootcamp partition. I may dump it anyway, and just know that I what I have to do when I use my VAG-COM.

8. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Hey, crew, without identifying any beta participation <grin>, here's what I've found:

MackBook Pro Core Duo 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.4.9

Parallels build 4106 (don't ask, as I can't tell, but read between the lines)
    XP SP2

VAG-COM HEX+CAN USB, software v704.1

1995.5 Audi S6 Avant
    2002 VW Eurovan
    2004 VW Jetta TDI

Works a treat on all accessible modules that I've tried so far on each car. I could not get VAG-COM to work thru my Keyspan USB to serial adapter, so I shipped my serial VAG-COM cable back and upgraded to the HEX-CAN USB one. Couldn't be happier.

I've also got Bentley 3.0.2.8 with data for all three cars going in Parallels. Now if I could only get ETKA 7 running, I'd be like a pig in the smelly stuff.

9. earthpilot

earthpilot Bit poster

I just downloaded the newest version 3.0 of Parallels using XP an my Macbook 2GHz Core Duo with 2GB of Ram and my KEY-USB still doesn't see the car.

Anyone else have any better luck?

10. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Did you install the USB drivers when you installed VAG-COM?

I did it initially without installing the USB drivers, XP would see the VAG-COM cable but not the car.

Removed the VAG-COM software, reinstalled WITH the USB drivers, life is good.

11. earthpilot

earthpilot Bit poster

Yes installed the software exactly the way Uwe says to install his product and still no dice.
    Pretty disappointed with the 3.0 upgrade.

I guess Boot Camp is the answer now.

12. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Aren't all upgrades really just revenue opportunities <grin>?

I have 4124 and have recently upgraded my VAG-COM cable to a HEX+CAN USB, installed the latest VAG-COM software, including the USB drivers, and everything works fine.

13. earthpilot

earthpilot Bit poster

Even went to a fresh XP install with only VAG-COM software installed and it still doesn't work.
    Followed Uwe's instructions exactly and it still doesn't communicate with the car.

Why would it work on your machine and not work on mine?

Ended up installing Boot Camp and gave up on trying to get Parallels to work.
    Parallels really isn't delivering on this feature if it doesn't work the same on every version of the software.
    Thanks for letting me pay for your beer tab last night Parallels dev team with my $40 upgrade fee.