coherence + 2 displays on a macbook

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nicoleAntfarm, Mar 14, 2007.

1. nicoleAntfarm

nicoleAntfarm Bit poster

I've been surfing the forums for a while now because I am still unable to get Coherence to span 2 displays (primary and external). It appears that some get it working, and some don't. I've found that mostly it works on macbook pros. So I'm trying to narrow my search....has anyone been able to get coherence mode to span more than one display on a macbook?

I was hoping this was fixed in the latest build but it isn't, and the documentation doesn't have any info about Coherence and how to config it. If this is a parallels issue, then that's fine, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right on my end.

I have a 13" macbook 1280x800, and a 19" monitor 1280x1024.
    I have confirmed that they are aligned correctly within the "Arrangement" area of display prefs in OS X. I have tried to use Coherence with my toolbar on the macbook, or the ext. display. Each time, Coherence only works on one screen.

I have enabled multiple displays but when I turn Coherence on, I get an error stating that Parallels can't run coherence because the client doesn't recognize the resolution.

I have tried adding a custom resolution within parallels by adding up both resolutions and making one big one, but Parallels rejects it.

Am I missing something? :confused:

2. luomat

luomat Hunter

I don't know what the issue is but I have the same problem with my MacBook (1280x800) with my Dell external monitor 1600x1200. This should have been fixed before the app was released out of beta.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I have no problems running coherence on my macbook, and I have not had any throubles doing thi since they started supporting it.

Here is the trick: treat it the same way you would treat x11.

Every time you plug/unplug a monitor you have to restart the program, as it does not dynamically scale the size of the inivisable "back pane" that it is using to render its windows on.

I use mine on the internal monitor set to secondary mode, with a 20" wide external LCD (1680x1050 I think...). If it makes any differnece I use them with the external monitor above the internal one.

4. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

Try going into display prefences on the MacOS and chose arrangement. Move the menu bar to the external monitor. Do this while having your VM set to OS Window. Then switch it to Coherence.
    Mine worked great. I could not get Coherence to use the external before and I have it positioned above my MacBook window (since it physically does anyway).

MBB Duo Core 1g 80 HD

5. nicoleAntfarm

nicoleAntfarm Bit poster

Thanks guys. Unfortunately none of the above worked. Regarding the post that suggested rebooting, I attempted that as well. As much as I love Parallels, my only complaint is with Coherence. There needs to be documentation or support for that feature. If Coherence only works with certain video cards or systems, it would be great to know what those systems are.I'm a bit frustrated because once they advertised Coherence, I talked my boss into purchasing 6+ copies for the office specifically for that feature, and now I'm having to tell my boss that it doesn't work correctly. Oh well.

6. luomat

luomat Hunter

What arrangement?

If I have my displays setup like this:
    [​IMG]

Then I get this error
    [​IMG]

The larger monitor is running 1600x1200.
    The smalelr is running 1280x800

It does not matter which display has the menu bar

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I run big over little (lap top)
    mac menu bar across the top of the lower screen

but don't bother with coherence now the novelty has worn off :)

I move the P D window onto either screen according to what i am doing

Hugh W

8. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

My Arrangement has the monitors set with the external on top of the MacBook screen. I move the menu bar from the MacBook to the External. Resolution for the exteranl is 1440x900, 60 Hz (View Sonic VX1935wm) MacBook resolution is standard 1280 x 800. Both set to millions.

Does your external work with your VM in OS Window OK? Then it may be a conflict between the monitor styles (WM vs standard Monitor) or brand that conflicts with it. That's just a guess.

9. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

Hugh, I do the same as you (use OS Window), mostly on the external. But did so because I could not originally get Coherece to use the external. It did work in an earlier beta, but cannot remember which one. It was one of the first builds to offer it. I'm on 3188 now.