3188 update from 1970 - VM continuously restarts

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by waldo647, Mar 14, 2007.

1. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

Hello,

Just upgraded from 1970 to 3188 - now my VM just continuously restarts!?

Any help appreciated!
    - Chris

2. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

Just a quick add-on - my older VM with XP SP2 and Office 2003 starts up on the local machine account, so this appears to be a Windows problem.

The current VM (same with Office 2007) will boot in Safe Mode only, none of the other choices there work. Maybe a Registry problem? I know there were Reg changes made for the Stanford Win domain. Maybe I can back those out...

Thanks for any suggestions!
    - Chris

3. Parabola

Parabola Junior Member

I had the same issue w/ BETA RC3 when updating from 1970. It seemed to be a video driver issue. Unfortunately, I had to trash the VM and create a new one due to limited time to resolve problem for the user. Fortunately, I have an XP Pro image to restore from.

However, try Safe Boot (press F8 at Windows startup), select SafeBoot and uninstall Parallels Tools. This installs custom network, video and other "unsigned" drivers from Parallels. On normal reboot, try re-installing Parallels Tools. If all goes well, you should be back in business.

Bon Chance!

4. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

Thanks! This didn't work directly - couldn't uninstall the tools, and tried installing again. Still no dice. Did Safe Boot and uninstalled everything I could that looked driver-related. Still no dice.

Then, thinking video drivers... I looked at video preference settings and realized I had some custom video resolution settings - and since these are handled differently now, I deleted all those. PRESTO! It now boots! Going to try a previous backup of the VM without the uninstalls, to see if that works there, as well. For now, it looks fixed. Thanks soooo much for this hint!

5. cglasel

cglasel Bit poster

I've had similar troubles. I tried uninstalling Tool, SafeBooting and deleting the video driver -- which helps, I could boot the VM/WindowsXP, but then it was totally unstable. Maybe same issues as I have changed some settings (but can't remember just what.)

Are the video resolution settings you are referring to within Windows or in Parallels settings? I wish there was a reset to default somewhere in Parallels.

6. waldo647

waldo647 Junior Member

The video settings were in the Parallels preferences. I also needed to install the new Parallels Tools in Windows Safe Mode. My VM appears to be fairly stable now, although I've only begun using it... Curiously, an older VM with XP SP2/Office 2003 (vs this one XP SP2/Office 2007) appeared to run fine when logging into the local account.

It makes sense that the custom video setting would need to be removed, since the Parallels window is not only resizable now, but with Coherence, the underlying video code must have changed substantially... I kind of wish Parallels had either alerted us to this, or better yet, just removed the custom settings with some explanatory dialog box, during the upgrade. Maybe so few users did this, that they felt it wasn't warranted or too complicated.

Note: I don't run the Compressor tool, or any Win or Parallels optimizations. (I cratered a VM with the Compressor early on...) And, I avoid stuff like Google Desktop (though I'm a big Google fan) which seems to slow it down. I also try to keep backups to go back to, just in case.

Hope this helps...