USB problem with build 1970

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ajay, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ajay

ajay Hunter

I've searched the threads and do not find an answer to my problem. I've been using a San Disk USB memory stick to back up my Quicken data for some time with no problem. Today, the USB device is in use by OS X, try again. I rebooted the Mac, repaired the disk and got back into my WinXP OS. Same deal, the USB device is in use. I reset the vm so that the usb device in not automatically connected. When I try to connect manually, you guessed it. Any ideas on what I should try?

One thing occurs to me; I installed a Mac update a day and one half ago. Updated to 10.4.9. Not sure if that might have done something.

I'm at your mercy guys. any help would be very much appreciated.

2. ajay

ajay Hunter

No takers, eh? I reinstalled the OS X update to no avail. The USB stick still is captured on the Mac side and I get the "in use" message on the "winXP" side. My USB printer, connected directly to the Mac continues to work. Granted I have to select it from the Parallels device dropdown menu but I can select it and it works. The San Disk stick also shows up on the device dropdown but I cannot select it without getting dreaded message.

The fact that when I plug it in and the device shows up on the Mac desktop leads me to believe the problem is with OS X and not Parallels. I remember reading somewhere that one could get into Terminal and remove drivers. That may be my problem but I am not technnically inclined and have no idea how to do that.

Anyone?

3. tsawicki

tsawicki Bit poster

I have the same problem trying to connect my mp3 player with the same build. Either auto or manual I get the same error but with me os x doesn't show the device. I am convinced its a parallels issue. the last RC I tried worked without issues.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Are you ejecting it from OS X before trying to attach it to Windows?

5. trachshack

trachshack Junior Member

Exact same problem started today...

I just today started having the exact problem that ajay described with my USB flash drive, and have tried everything he or she tried, with the same results. And I also just installed a Mac update. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

6. trachshack

trachshack Junior Member

Forgot to mention...I have build 1940.

Forgot to mention...I have build 1940.

7. trachshack

trachshack Junior Member

I think I have a solution...

I just upgraded Parallels to Build 3170, (available on these forums), and it's now recognizing my flash drive. ajay, let me know if this works for you.

There's a slight problem though...now the Mac OS won't recognize my flash drive, (even if I click outside of the Windows screen), unless I shut down Parallels...better than the previous situation though.

Anyone have any ideas re this new problem?

8. ajay

ajay Hunter

DKP, yes I do eject it on the Mac side but when I select it from Parallels, I get the message. This all just started with the recent OS X update to 10.4.9.

I upgraded Parallels to the latest version, 3188 I think, and all is now well. My USB stick is recognized by Parallels and is available as a backup drive for my Quicken data.

I sincerely believe the problem had something to do with the Mac OS upgrade. I wish I were able to better define it and fix it, but the Parallels upgrade obviously overwrote the problem and for that I'm glad.

Thanks all for your assistance.

9. ajay

ajay Hunter

trachshach, thanks for the tip. The Parallels upgrade fixed my problem too. My memory stick doesn't show up on the Mac side anymore and that's the way I want it. I use it strictly for backing up my Windows Quicken data. All is well again in Central Illinois. :D

10. trachshack

trachshack Junior Member

Glad to hear it worked for you too, ajay. Unfortunately I use my stick on both sides and now I have to shut down Parallels in order to use it with the Mac OS. Oh well...maybe someone will post a solution for me.

11. carlosm

carlosm Bit poster

USB flash drive not recognized in Windows VM

I tried the same thing as Ajay and 3188 installed beautifully but now the Windows VM does not even recognize the flash drive. Before I installed 3188 the VM said the flash drive was already in use. I also recently updated to OS 10.4.9.

I also tried to fool Parallels into thinking my Windows was XP and not ME. That allowed me to set up the Shared Folders path, but on the Windows side it doesn't appear. I guess I need to get a newer Windows version than ME!

-CM

12. bobp

bobp Bit poster

I have the same problem. When I try to sync an iPod, for example, I have to close down Parallels for the Mac OS to see the iPod. Not the biggest tragedy on earth, but quite inconvenient. I have a recent build (don't remember the number and am not home right now). Any help? Thanks.

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Check to see if you are running the latest build... Back-up before upgrades! I found USB VERY unstable until we were around ~3080... As in almost unfunctional for our law offices purposes.