Sound in Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CKMac, Feb 16, 2007.

1. CKMac

CKMac Bit poster

I haven't seen much about this problem on this forum, so I'm thinking it is not widespread, but hoped that someone might be able to give me some insight on it.

I have a fresh install of the Official release of parallels running, with Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything appears to be working well except for sound from Windows Media Player 11. Whenever I attempt to play any sound out if it, it is choppy or stuttering. Windows system sounds, sounds from plugins in a browser, etc. are all fine - the problem appears limited to only WMP 11. All other sound sources are unaffected.

I am on a brand new MacBook Pro 17", 2GB - 160 GB HD.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks

2. ashafrir

ashafrir Bit poster

I have the same problem.
    macbook pro 17" 2GB, Parallels RC3 3170
    WMP 11 on Vista is extremely choppy

help ?

3. vontech

vontech Bit poster

On a brand new MacBook 2ghz/120 with Vista ULTIMATE too! Is this NORMAL??

Thanks!

Tom

4. asiayeah

asiayeah Bit poster

I hope Parallels is looking into fixing this problem.

I tried Vista Ultimate on a MacBook Pro 2.16ghz/120 with build 1970 and have the choppy sound issue with Media Player, too.

5. abanks

abanks Hunter

Im using WM 11 with Vista Ultimate and the latest version of Parallels (3170) the sound is fine but the video is very jerky the previous version i think 3150 was totally ok but this one seems to have gone bandy !!

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

this was reported in the last 2 RC versions and Parallels said they were looking into it.

7. radesix

radesix Member

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHZ / 2GB and using builds 1970, 3036, and 3150 I also have audio problems with Windows Media Player.

8. vontech

vontech Bit poster

I gave up and installed Boot Camp, ran Boot Camp Assistant and installed Vista Ultimate in its own partition. EVERYTHING works just fine, in fact - great!

Maybe someday Parallels will be able to overcome more of these problems. I understand that they are tough ones!

9. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

Windows Ultimate, MacBook Pro 2.33, 3188. Same old audio stutters from WMP 11. Sucks.

10. chrishch

chrishch Bit poster

As a test, I downloaded WinAmp 5.33 and played an MP3 file in Vista Home with Parallels 3188, 1 GB of RAM dedicated to Vista. The sound still drops occasionally, but the song is played at normal speed.

Then, I bit the bullet and installed WMP11 on my Windows XP Parallels image and music played fine.

I guess it's not just WMP 11 that's the problem, it's WMP within Vista that has the problem. They really need to take a look at this.

11. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

Same here. I downloaded WinAmp Pro 5.33. Both video and mp3's play better, but as you said there are still occasional stutters. I also downloaded some critical update for WMP 11 SDK, but that didn't make any difference either. I was going to defragment and compress that VM, but I know it takes a long time to do and I was a bit busy today. Maybe tomorrow. It's probably some doofus incompatible driver. I've also got WinXP Pro on another VM on the same machine and I'd already installed WMP11 and it was working perfectly for all sorts of video, audio, streaming, you name it. Blame it on Vista.:mad:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007